Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fri 1/29 @ DC
It was a nice day at Deer Creek today without the crowds and the sun shining...heck there wasn't even any wind! Early in the morning it was pretty cold and foggy however. The slush was okay by the island. Tough walking to and from but quite alright near the island. Use old trails if you can. Got a tip (thanks guys) of using yellow jigs with crawlers or cheese 12-16 feet down from some fellas that caught 9 trout. We started fishing 16 feet all the way down to about 22 feet over 30-40 feet of water. Although we used waxies and mealies and multiple colors of lures... almost all fish were caught on chartreuse tube jigs or glow cutters tipped with lime green powerbait. No bites on the bottom. No perch! Ended the afternoon with 6 bows for two guys and one good one snapped off at the hookset due to the line tangled on the spring bobber. Biggest bow was about two pounds I'd say. Cut him open and his gut was filled with olive green slime. Maybe they were feeding on perch fry...
[signature]
Nice report, Good to hear there are some fish up there. We will have to catch the ones you left tomorrow. I hope we can get into some perch who wanna play tho.

Shawn M
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The "green slime" is masses of freshly ingested copepods. Deer Creek is full of them and the constitute the biggest part of the diet of the rainbows. They are invertebrates...members of the shrimp family...and have lots of carotene and vitamin A, like most crustaceans. That is what makes those rainbows have such pretty red flesh. They are some of the best eating rainbows anywhere.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, that is why the trout cruise at shallow depths. The invertebrates stratify near the surface to get more light. The trout just swim though clouds of them and gulp them down...like whales feeding on krill. They are a son of a gun to match with a fly pattern. Size 200 short shank hook.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
At first glance, I thought they might be some kind of tiny crusty... next time I use a magnifying glass!
[signature]