Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
should i go braid and if so what pound
i was going to be filling my new abu revo s up with some line and wanted input as to whether i should put braided line on and if i do, what pound
i will be using for small to medium size swimbaits, flipping and pitching and will eb on a 7'6 abu vendetta MH rod
if i don't get the braid, (which would be either suffix performance or suffix performance fuse) i would be using 12lb mono

thanks for any help anyone can give me
[signature]
Ah, to braid or not to braid...
I am a recent convert to braid and I love it. I use for carolina rigs (65lb PowerPro), frogs (50lb Sufix), and senkos (30lb Sufix)...that's it, the rest is mono/floro. If you are flipping then think heavy, 50lb braid (12-14lb mono equivalent) minimum. Just dont equate pound test rating with abrasion resistence. 20lb braid is 6lb mono diameter. Would you throw 6lb mono/floro on your 7'6" flippin' rod? If you are fishing a lot of grass then braid is great but I would stick to mono/floro for wood cover. Braid is just not as abrasion resistent as you would think.
I love 14lb Sufix or 17lb Pline Halo for the heavier stuff (alomost the same diameter). You're areas may may call for heavier mono/floro.

Again, I think braid is nice and have really come to appreciate it but I still only use it for specific applications. I have used PowerPro and Sufix and like them both. You'll find some who have definite preferences.

HockeyMan
[signature]
how s the suffix braid on smoothness and how limp is it, by the way if had to get something just for general use would it be fine to use 20lb braid
thanks
[signature]
FF401 - I like Sufix. I throw spinning gear for Senkos and use 30lb braid (8lb mono) and it casts the 4" baits very well. The 50lb Sufix braid I use for frogs on my casting gear is really smooth. The 65lb PowerPro I use on my Carolina rig rod is good too. It's as limp as you can expect from heavier braid. I really only notice some stiffness the first few casts. As soon as it get wet it's fine.

Not sure what you mean by general use. I personally would not throw braid for crank baits or spinnerbaits. If the rod is used for spinnerbaits, topwater, plasitcs then I would stick with 12-14lb mono or co-polymer such as Yozuri or Sufix. Flourocarbon and all P-Line sink so dont spool it if the rod will be used for topwater.

This is only my opinion. If you have a boat with storage for 30 rods and you can keep 30 rods on board then you can get very specific but if you use rods for multiple uses then you need to be more practical.
HockeyMan
[signature]
thanks that was helpful, and by general i meant that i would be using it for things ranging from soft plastics, swimbaits,to flipping and pitching and top water, but i also have a few other setups i would use for crankbaits ad spinner baits,
but can carry few rods because i am mostly shore bound and money bound it will be on a revo s and a 7'6 vendetta

thanks and good luck fishing
[signature]
the thing i most dislike about braid is how much air resistance you get when casting. If i were to go braid, i'd go 2lb and fish it like it was 6lb line.

however, i fish 2lb only and pull 4-5lb large mouths.
[signature]
Curious about the "air resistance" comment in reference to braid. It's typically a lot thinner than comparable mono or fluorocarbon lines pound for pound. I've never noticed an issue, unless using cheap braid that has the consistency of dental floss. What kind of braid are you using, and are you using a spinning or casting real?
[signature]
Guys, here is my input from on all these lines...

Flurocarbon: Newest and greatest fishing line on the market, the feel is incredible because there is no stretch at all which allows you to feel the slightest little bite... Basically, invisible underwater and line diameter is smaller than Monofilamant... Only dislike, it can be hard to handle on the reel (meaning if you don't have complete control of the line, good possibility that you will get alot of line twists and tangles)...

Mono: Old, stretches and dosen't last very long on the reel...

Braided lines: some braided lines are perfect because there is virtually no stretch at all and line control on the reel is very easy... I hardly get any tangles or backlashes using braided lines... One dislike, the lighter lines under 6lb test will fray very easily causing fish to brake off when you think everything is perfect... This is a line defect and not your fishing skills...

Air Resistance: Very simple, heavier lines are more air resistance than lighter lines because of the diameter... When your throwing into the wind, it can be a difficult challenge to provide the distance that you want your lure to reach... Lighter lines will provide the max distance for any lure when there is wind....
[signature]
[quote fishfinder401]i was going to be filling my new abu revo s up with some line and wanted input as to whether i should put braided line on and if i do, what pound
i will be using for small to medium size swimbaits, flipping and pitching and will eb on a 7'6 abu vendetta MH rod
if i don't get the braid, (which would be either suffix performance or suffix performance fuse) i would be using 12lb mono

thanks for any help anyone can give me[/quote]

I spend about 30 hours per week fishing bass and I have a lot of extra spools for my spinning reels and a lot of ever baitcast reels for the simple reason of not getting too focused on one line. You really need to look at what baits you are going to be using as well as what kind of structure you are going to be fishing.

With that said, when I fish braid I usually use a pretty high test. I've been using Berk Tracerbraid in the 30# range and when I am fishing a lot of heavy cover I step up to around 50#. When you're fishing in cover line tends not to matter quite as much so I go with something really stout to make sure I can get the lunkers through the weeds.

I really good setup that has been working for me is 30# braid with a flurocarbon leader of about 36" connected with an inline swivel.
[signature]
ya the braid i was using was fire line crystal and it did feel a little like floss it is on a baitcaster and i am considering keeping my 12 lb mono or get some 30lb braid
[signature]
I would suggest 40 pound braid. I've never broken it personally... even when I was snagged in rocks and really wished I could, lol!

I like sticking to 2 different sizes of braid. I use 20 pound for my lighter stuff and 40 pound for flipping. 40 pound braid is still very castable. 65+ pound braid will pretty much limit you to flipping and pitching. 40 pound Power Pro is the diameter of the average 10 pound mono. There was a time I had spools of 15, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 65 pound braid... I don't have the resources to keep buying all different sizes, so sticking to two has made things cheaper and simpler.

I've tried 50, 65, and 80 pound braid but 40 is more manageable and it's as tough as nails. You'll straighten all your hooks out and probably break your rod before you snap it.
[signature]
how would 50 lb braid be for surf casting
[signature]
I can't speak for surf, but if you're thinking of using 50 pound for flipping and then double-dutying for surf... I'd say you're probably on the right track.

Fireline Crystal is very waxy... almost like bow string. There is a fused model and a braided model of Fireline. I think the braided model is easier handling. Still in all, Power Pro is much limper. Spiderwire Stealth is similar to Power Pro... I try to stay away from the "clear" braided lines as they are usually neon white both under the water and on dry land.
[signature]