Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba
I hit Yuba with my sled team on Thursday. Arrived at the Oasis end at 6:30am to heavy fog. Had the lake to myself until about 9:am when I heard some folks arrive across the lake but due to the heavy fog couldn't see them until it burned off about noon. I punched allot of holes covering some ground. I had been mourning the loss of this great fishery all winter but some recent posts gave me a glimmer of hope so I thought I'd give it at least one trip this year. I was disappointed to say the least. I caught 3 perch, 2 about 11 and one 12 inches. In my mind I can now lay that one to rest until something changes to improve it. I guess I should just feel lucky I didn't hang any of the golden trophies cruising there.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Yuba...so Sad to see it like that again. Overall there seems to be a few big perch around but I was there when the little troutskies were planted about 3? years ago in the fall and I have only seen a couple pics of trout since then. I hope the pike are doing well if nothing else.
[signature]
If nothing else is doing good, you can bet your last buck that the pike arent.
[signature]
[quote ratstar]If nothing else is doing good, you can bet your last buck that the pike arent.[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]What is the basis for that reasoning?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The pike are the top of the food chain and about the only species capable of dining on the overabundant carp. There are still lots of small perch in the lake too. Just not a lot of big ones this year.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are some HUGE pike in that lake and plenty of small and medium ones too. But, they have so much food that they are not motivated to chase down fast moving lures...especially in the winter. The ice fishermen in the midwest catch lots of pike through the ice but they are allowed to use live bait.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I predict a super spring for pike at Yuba. I would be surprised if the Utah state record is not broken at least a couple of times this year.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]PS...you might consider changing your outdated signature.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
My thoughts on this are if the forage fish in the water arent doing good and their numbers deminish, so will the pike. Yes it is true there is a butt load of carp in there but with only one forage fish to feed on a species will decline. This is why just about any other state that has really great esox fisheries stocks and builds on at least 3 forage fish species and gets them going BEFORE getting to the pike, musky or whatever predator fish you want.

Truth be told I know the pike in Yuba are doing well. I personally saw (not me catching them) 10+ fish over 40" pulled out this season alone. Well into the 30+ for ones over 35" too. So I know the big ones are there, but the perch seem fewer, the eyes few and far, and the smallies actually showed up some suprisingly enough. I know the pike are there.

All I was trying to convey is that if one or two of the smaller fish are dwindling in numbers noticably to us, the pike notice it too for sure.

And I wholeheartedly agree with you in the belief that the state record will most likely be broken this year also.
[signature]
The pike did to good in there and the DWR encouraged their slaughter and that is exactly what happened. I talked to a taxidermist that stated he had over 25 big ones in his freezer from 2009 ready to moun t. I personally saw the overall size of the fish diminishing. In the last 2 years we have caught 48 over 30" in my boat. Two of those were killed and mounted.

I saw five big fish at the fish cleaning stationone afternoon in 2009. The angler stated he killed them because the DWR wanted them dead. This unnecessary slaughter will continue until one of the best trophy pike waters in the west, maybe in the whole hemispere is gone. Inaction to preserve this fishery is partly poliitical with the walleye fishermen screaming to restore that fishery, but the dynamics have changed since the great walleye fishing of years ago.

There is alot more to this complex problem than what I have mentioned, but I'm not going to get into all of that now. Bottom line is that the DWR has dropped the ball by not protecting the big spawners. You can argue that point with me, but I wont be convinced. I've fished Yuba as much as anyone alive in the last three or so years and nothing can convince me otherwise. Ratstar is right!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have to laugh whenever a discussion of Yuba "develops". There are well defined camps of anglers...troutaholics, perch jerkers, wallie whackers and pike pursuers. Each seems to want to blame DWR for the lake not being managed to suit their particular preference. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The truth is that DWR has nothing to do with "managing" Yuba. The best they can do is monitor it and report their findings. True, they make recommendations...such as reducing the overpopulation of predatory pike. But they do not control the water nor do they stock or manage any of the species in the lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yes, there were a lot of big pike removed last year. Sorry for your losses. More will take their place. Tons of small to mid size pike still in the lake and they grow fast. The fact that there are any pike at all in Yuba is a testament to how tough they are. They hung in there even when the lake was completely drained. Enough survived to bring off a good spawn the first year the water came back up and they have ruled the lake...along with the carp...ever since. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have watched the progression of the fishery since that time with interest. I find it hilarious that the trouters were ecstatic with the big explosion of big trout...for the first couple of years. Then, when the perch, walleye and pike ate all the small trout and very few survived or grew large anymore they blamed DWR for letting that happen. And, when the perch and walleye never really got to the numbers of past years, again DWR was blamed for not stocking more to give them a better foothold. The best DWR could do was advise anglers to harvest more of the pike. That sets off the pike fans and they hammer DWR for diminishing their favorite species.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have lived and fished through several 10 year cycles on Yuba. I love it when it loves me back. But I don't whine and whimper when Mama Nature messes with it. Beyond my control. Yeah, I always like to remember the good old days, and wonder if I will live long enough to see them again. In the meantime I point my fishing rod in other directions. I like to think I control my fishing...and that it does not control me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Nothing personal here. I have followed your "quest" for pike on Yuba and respect the amount of time and effort you put into your professional approach. I truly hope that there are a whole bunch of big fish left for you and that you manage to hang a grundle of them. And, if you don't, you have my personal sympathy. Best wishes good buddy.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I believe the DWR can do something. I believe they can be proactive and put a slot on the pike. I also believe they can manage the fishery with whatever the political whimes lean them to.
The first thing necessary is to analyze the data they have acquired. Analyze what they have , make some decision on what they have, what other potentials might be. Doing nothing is not acceptable and it doesn't matter what type of fishey is best suited for this water. Do something!

Pike are my favorite specie and I would like to see this, the only major specie trophy fishery that exists in the lake today, managed. Managers and biologists the world over made forward thinking decisions every day that have resulted in extraordinary angling opportunities for the average angler. BUT someone has to say, "Let's make this water the best fishery we can. I said it before and I'll repeat it "ad nauseum" until Christ gets back..To do nothing is unnacceptable!

With Drew Cushings at the helm over Utah's warm water there is a chance. IF Drew considers what is best for the waters AND what the anglers want...there is hope. His actions so far have been positive. Utahs rapidly diversifing groups of anglers have spred way beyond trout. The great majority of my angling friends no longer even fish for trout!

We have Lake Powell, which in my opinion is one of the best warm water fisheries in the country and its huge base of anglers who are looking for other opportunites on other suitable waters in the northern part of the state. That fishery would not be half of what it is with out the vision of biologist, Wayne Gustaveson. Cushing might be as visionary as Wayne and look beyond what the state has done in the past and move into hitherto unexplored management venues.

Do I still blame the DWR for the shortcomings at Yuba? You can be sure of it! Who else can I point fingers at for their lack of concern and action. Is it reasonable to alone think that elimination of big pike by indiscriminate slaughter will bring back the walleye or perch? Will the fantastic pike fishing be adversly affected by the continuation of do nothing and accept whatever you have? You can bet on it. The pike fishery is all they have right now and continued inaction will allow it to be eventually impacted negatively.

You might be laughing whenever a discussion of Yuba "develops", but I'm not laughing. And the truth is that the DWR has everything to do with the managing of Yuba. THE UNANSWERED QUESTION IS, WILL THEY?
[signature]
I've fished Yuba for almost as long as you have Pat and pretty well concur with you. I gotta add this though. Every person that wants to take a shot at DWR for mismanaging the fish in Yuba oughta just zip it! DWR can't effectively manage squat there until some kind of conservation pool arrangement can be worked out with the downstream water users. They can and will use everything that they can get to drain out of yuba if they need it. I have no problem at all with that 'cause water is their lifeline. If we want fisheries management that bad in Yuba, we (all of us, fishermen, water skiiers etc.-- gotta be willing to pony up megabucks to buy rights to a conservation pool.

I gotta add this little jab at DWR though. Instituiting a ten perch limit here a few years back was a damn poor decision. There's no way angling pressure from the numbers pf people that fish Yuba could negatively impact the perch population when it hits its peak. In fact it's right at that time that limits should have been lifted.
[signature]
Geezer said it all, (pezvela)you need to realize the water problem. Tubedude is right, sorry to say. The dwr would take action on Yuba but at what cost? To have the water user's drain it and there efforts lost?

Not trying to make you made or make light of the subject, but it is what it is.

Tubedude: This is awesome.......[#0000ff].......I like to think I control my fishing...and that it does not control me. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
I agree with Tube Dude that there is not much to be done as far as water levels. But I disagree that the DWR can do nothing or that what they can do will cost millions of dollars. Biologists around the country have said that taking out large pike is detrimental to the fishery. It would cost nothing to put a slot on the pike there to ensure big spawning females to keep up the carp assault. Hell, I would LOVE to see the DWR plant a bunch of Triploid Pike there to help with the carp control. Drew informed me they were being produced at lee kay when the Tiger Musky issues were going on.

This article is excellent. I know this isnt the mid west but I feel it still very relevant for Yuba.
http://www.in-fisherman.com/content/pondering-pike

Its a long shot that anything can happen but I would love to see them try it. Pez, you know i'm with you. How do we go about trying to get a slot in place??
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You are both passionate and articulate on the subject of pike in Yuba Reservoir. But ranting on BFT forums is not likely to get any changes made in regulations...and certainly will do nothing to change the political situation with the water users.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My only suggestion is to get involved with the RAC process. That is the only shot that anglers have of getting their voices heard, even if it sometimes seems that we are wasting our time and energy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I might also suggest that you approach the biologists and COs that handle Yuba. They have published email addresses and phone numbers. I know from personal experience that they welcome interaction from the angling contingent and that they carefully consider any input we might offer. Better yet, volunteer to help with pulling survey nets or other physical labor needs. They can often use the help and it is a good way to cultivate sympathy for your personal agendas.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I do not disagree that there are things that COULD be done to create and maintain a better pike fishery at Yuba. But I suspect that DWR is looking more at the big picture than what a relative handful of anglers (pike pursuers) might want. Their ultimate goal is to increase overall angler hours and angler success ratios. Most folks who go to Yuba...now and in the past...go there for the perch and walleyes. Those folks are not your friends if you want to bolster the pike population. Kinda like trying to show your prize hunting dog at a cat show.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No arguments with you brother. Just thinking that there are other places you could spend your passion with a potentially better outcome.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Really good to know! Its just so hard for me to understand why people wouldnt want to catch these consistantly.
[Image: DSC_0206.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0145.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0161.jpg]
I will email them and figure out when the RAC meeting is for that. THanks for the good advise. TD, winter is winding down. I need to get over to the house and catch up and make some jigs soon! I know it will be tougher after ice out. [Wink]
[signature]
"Really good to know! Its just so hard for me to understand why people wouldnt want to catch these consistantly."

[cool][#0000ff]I don't think it is that people do not want to catch them consistently. I think it is more a matter of "comfort zone". Pike are big and intimidating. Most folks fear what they do not know and they do not know even where to begin to catch a pike. Like walleyes, a lot of pike are hooked by accident, while fishing for other species. They would rather keep using their lighter tackle and smaller lures and baits, with a reasonable expectation of taking home a few perch...rather than gearing up for a bigger fish that might take several trips before they catch anything.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Again, it is a game of numbers with DWR. Hundreds of people fish Yuba for perch for every angler that shows up with pike as the primary target. Last year there were a lot more folks that made an effort to try for pike...yourself included. The lucky ones have someone knowledgeable to guide them through the process and teach them how to fish for and how to handle those big bad boys. Mostly they just show up with a bunch of lures they hope will work and flog the water for an hour before they get tired or discouraged. As you know, that don't get 'er done. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I don't think DWR is anti-pike. But, up until the last couple of years on Yuba there was just not that much interest in them. Now that it is an established and recognized fishery maybe they can be persuaded to give it more attention and respect. It is worth a try.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Whenever you are ready for another jig-o-rama you know where I live.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
well i'm with TD somewhat on this one.. i have seen yuba go through this more then i like in my life.. but one thing i have found is give it 3 to 5 years and someing will happen.. ether good or worse..

the funny thing of it is last year was the best i have done on the walleye in 6 years at yuba.. and i did not catch neer as meny pike as the last 3 years.. and from some of my cat hunting buddys the catfish were doing great in there last year as well.. and as most that fish it all ready know the carp are doing better then anything in the lake.. i think the DWR should be commended for the effert thay have put in to make Yuba one of the best carp fishing lakes in the world!!
[signature]