Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
newton and logan river report- 7-19-03
on the 19 we went to newton. wow it is low this is the lowest that Ive ever saw it. the last time I saw it just as low was at the end of sept a year or two ago. I fished the dam on the east side of it I hook bass after bass after bass. they were eating anything. they hit my musky lures also. I hooked a 12" bass on a 10" jake crankbait. the water I guessed to be 6 to 10 foot. If you have a tube the lake is your. you can get a small boat on it if you can pick the boat up. try to put in on the west side of lake. you can drive down into a little bay now that should have 20' of water over it.
also hit logan river at 2nd dam only hooked 2 trout there with trout jigs randy knows the ones. they were the only fish we saw caught but we only fished it for 2 hours.

Hey if you can find a way get up and fish newton with a tube, do it. and keep your limits I think that it's going to be so low for the winter that it will have a big winter kill. so letstry and get some fish. and yes there are some big ones in there big cats upto 20lbs musky up to 48" big crappies and gills. lots of perch also.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Ya, this low water is getting scary. This is only the middle of July and we're see unprecedented low water levels everywhere. Man, we better get some substantial rainfall next year or I'm buying a couple camels and changing my front yard to sagebrush and gravel.[/size][/font]
[signature]
hi nomoose maybe you can help me with some answers how would you get to newton from S.L. ? , how far is it ?, what do you think the water temp is would you need waders or would shorts suffice ? thanx
chris
[signature]
Hey chris let me know if ya run op to newton. I've been wantin to go there ar at least thinking about it. t sounds like a nice place.

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
yep i'll let you know mostly depends on water temp dont want to go up there tubing and cramp my legs gotta get some waders fast

chris
[signature]
Hey Nomoose, What's a Trout jig?
[signature]
Newton is still about 3 ft. higher than it was while I ice fished it last year. The top of the concrete outlet portal was 1.5-2 ft above the ice line. I'm not sure for sure, but I think they can't draw it too much further than they did last year. Does anyone know if the DWR has a conservation pool? I wouldn't worry too much about winter kill since it's been like this for the past several years and the fish have come through just fine. I do however think that the bass could use some limited harvest.
[signature]
ok to get there from slc go up I-15 turn at logan,brigam exit. go right through logan to smithfield there is a sign that says newton clackston left at that light when you get to newton look for a sign on the right for newton lake turn right at that sign. that road will take you to the lake. it takes just under 2 hours to get there.

the water I think is about 72 or so (warm) I dont think you need waders if you dont want them.

the trout jig I got from wallmart they call it trout magnets. They are small jigs about 1/64oz only about 1" long with a spit tail. I got a kit with like 5 or 6 colors with jigs. I love to use them for crappies also. I let hellangler69 have on and he liked it so much he went and picked some up. I think he posted a pic on them sometime back.

I know that they cant take much more water out of the lake until they have to turn off the pumps. but last time it got low like this it wasn't this low at this time of the year we still have a long ways to go before it gets cold. I hope that I't doesn't get a winter kill.

yes also I think that there should have more smaller bass taken out of ther there are a lot of small one. so take some home to eat they are real good just fry them up with some butter and make some corn bread or hush puppys on you have a good meal. on don't for get some crawfish too ummm good. I think I'll make some cajun food for dinner now.[Tongue]
[signature]
thanks nomoose i'm allways looking for new water to fish might have to try there some day soon

chris
[signature]
I think you should give it a try I love to fish it. It's like a smaller pineview with less people,and now with no big boats. and right now you can almost fish all the lake in a tube in one day almost. and if you have a small boat you can fish all the lake real good and make sure you hit every spot in 6the lake with the boat.
[signature]
Here's a pic of some of the trout magnets . They are the ones in the upper left . I'm a jig junkie and I got stock in them now . I caught about a 25" carp on them , and smallies , crappie , largemouths and sunfish . No trout yet . I bet they will be in my ice bucket this winter too . Good luck

[Image: LOOM5874CustomImage0413366.jpg]
[signature]
Nice report Norm .Got to get back up that way . Nice water hole , sounds like I better bring my tube to teach them bass a lesson or two . Got to love them bass . I been stuck at Pineview . I hooked a 6" smallie on a j-11 rapala fishing for the muskie .I think I'm close to finding the bigger smallies now . They keep getting bigger when I find a new spot and it could be a senko thing too . Will this fever ever go away . LOL
[signature]
nope the fever will never go away catching one is'nt the cure that just makes it worse

chris
[signature]