Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a Way to Know if There's Bass in a Pond?
Last year, about this time, I was catching a few largemouth in my girlfriend's pond. Though later in the spring and summer they stopped biting entirely. My girlfriend got me a little crankbait identical to the one I was catching them all on except a slightly different color. But it's just about useless to me if the bass aren't biting in the pond. I don't fish little cranks in the lake. So, is there a way to tell if there are bass in the pond? Or do I just have to throw and hope?
[signature]
I was in Florida about five years ago and got lost going to the grocery store (I was in the middle of nowhere) and kept passing small ponds that looked very fishable. I did not know if they had fish or if it was even private property. I went back the next day and started knocking on doors, granted each house was about 1/4 mile apart, asking about the waters. Everyone I talked to was more than happy to give me permission to fish, unfortunately the fishing wasn't so great but I still had fun. I know that if I hadn't found out I would have still been wondering to this day if those ponds had bass in them.
If my short story [crazy] wasn't what you were looking for and if you are asking specifically about the gf's pond there is not much you can do except give it your best. Sneak up on the water and cast out before you get to the water so not to spook any fish. You can also look for beds in the springtime in shallow water or just sit back, relax and watch for any movement at all in the moss, weeds or reeds.
[signature]
The tough thing about knowing if fish are in a pond, is you never know what could happen. I've been fishing before with my buddy and watched him pull out a 2-3 pound bass in under 10 minutes, to this day I've never seen a fish come out of that pond. It could have been outfished, something could've gotten into water, or who knows. The only way to tell is to keep fishing. Good Luck!!![fishin]
[signature]
Hiya Simp!

It's almost spring here and I'm back into my fishing mode. I got some fishing in over the winter during the few times the temp rose above freezing and caught a few bass and some cats.

There's a pond near my home here that has minimum amount of bass in it. It's a smaller pond that is about 80 yards long and maybe 40 yards across. It's very shallow. Maybe 6 foot deep at one spot about 30 feet off the bank where an old creek bed ran through before the farmer dammed the creek up and altered it's flow into his irrigation canals.

Well here's the deal with this pond. I have fished it for 5 years and ALMOST every time I have fished there the bass have been caught on something different.

Some days I will catch a few on plastic worms worked very slow along the bank in 2 foot of water.

The next weekend that doesn't work and I have to use a 4in. Green flecked plastic shad throwing all the way across the pond past that 6 foot deep channel and let it sink then bump it through the grass and get a few strikes as the bait comes up through the channel onto the flats.

The next week neither of those work and I don't even get a strike the whole day, then at dusk (as the sun is actually down) I throw a buzz bait in the most shallow end of the pond til its completely dark and catch a 5-7 pounder.

See what I am saying? This pond holds bass and even large ones but they are fickle day to day as to what you will get strikes using.

This is contradictory to my Honey Hole pond about 2 miles away where I can throw a 2in plastic minnow (no spinner) with a hint of green and catch a bass almost every 3 to 5 casts all day long...

So the pond your referring to might be one of those ponds where the water is shallow and the bass get spooked easily and become finicky. Go there one day and just plan on making a entire day of it from dawn to dusk. Try every approach and every bait in your tackle box. You say you've caught bass there before so I bet you can them to strike again.

I think you and I discussed this before but I will reiterate it. STEALTH is an absolute necessity at these small ponds. If you stomp around or get to close to the bank and spook the bass it's going to become very hard to get them to strike anything.
[signature]
I would just try fishing it. You really never know.
[signature]
I would just say try it as well, if not bites it gives ya an excuse to buy a six pack......

Hope it works out for ya
[signature]