Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
an oddball thing about the logan
thought i would share with my fellow flyfisherpersons... this is kind of an oddball fact:

The Logan River has never been measured accurately, and the true length is unknown (but it is thought to be between 48 and 110 miles in length). The headwaters are unexplored and unmapped.

think i might have to do some exploring this summer!!

[url "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_River_(Utah"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_River_(Utah[/url])
[signature]
oh yea, andheres something that really got me thinking!

It is currently being studied to determine whether it is suitable for [url "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Wild_and_Scenic_Rivers"][#002bb8]National Wild and Scenic Rivers[/#002bb8][/url] designation.

same link as above
[signature]
Do you really think that's true ?
[signature]
its a damn pretty river.... maybe not as nice as parts of the gunnison, but close!
[signature]
Having lived in the valley since 72 and fished, hunted ect ect since then I am pretty sure that it would be tough to find a sq ft that hasn't been stepped on. Though interesting that it's posted that way.
[signature]
48 to 110 miles seems like a pretty huge guestimate. they have to have a better idea of its lenght than that. you could come closer just looking at it on google earth and taking a stab at it i would think...........
[signature]
where beaver creek runs and the logan starts has always Confused me. like i said maybe this summer ill poke around with my 3 weight and see if i can get a brookie or two.
[signature]
I am woman and bad with measurements, but I was thinking the same thing. We are not even talking 50%.[laugh]
[signature]
I got to agree with packfish on this one. There have been plenty of people up the head waters including franklin basin and others. If you want a map to any of the springs or tributarys dwr and others have them. a better source is the forrest service
[signature]
oh i am not doubting anyone! i am just saying its got my curiosity peeked is all!
[signature]
Very interesting.. The only thing i know about the logan is.. I do really well down by the golf course in the summer and fall..
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
I think the info just hasnt been updated in a while, I have followed the logan all the way into Idaho till it disappears into the ground. Spent a lot of time up in that area and its fairly accesable. But it is interesting, who knows maybe it goes a lot further back than I thought, and I'm missing a part of the river. seen stranger things.
[signature]
If that is true that is a big river!
[signature]
Water flows down hill-------- thus once it goes back just so far from Logan Canyon it now becomes another drainage and flows into the cub river. That isn't 60 some miles- it really is a fairly short distance. Wikipedia needs to be updated.
[signature]
Once again Wikipedia has let us all down. All this time I thought it was a great and accurate scientific resource.[Wink]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000080]Zak: With a possiable of 110 miles, you may be "AWAL" for the summer...[Smile][/#000080][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000080] GPS your Hot-Spots, so some of your angler buddies can come find you... LOL[/#000080][/font]
[signature]