Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
going to fish lake. any advice???
hi im going to fish lake. does anyone have any advice for me..

thanks !!!
[signature]
Welcome to BFT. Because none of the Fish Lake experts have responded I will give you best shot (I fish it a few times each year and have fished it once about a month ago through the ice.) Depends on what you are targetting. Perch can be caught on the bottom in the shallower water. Splake may be anywhere from shallow to deep water and anywhere in the water column. Rainbows are caught in shallower water and in deeper water in the top 25' of the water column. Pup macks could be anywhere, but the larger ones will be in water probably 50' or deeper on or near the bottom. The standard gear for all of these will work.
[signature]
I like to fish the weed edges and usally catch my fair share of splake and bows. Buddies I have fished with have also caught some small macs, but I have yet to do that. The perch are there also.
[signature]
Welcome I went last month on the so. ea. end we used light colored jigs tipped with meal and waxies. it didn't seen to matter what we put down the hole the splake would bite it. let us know how it went i would like to go down again but scared it see if slush has appeared yet.
[signature]
Last weekend we caught a lot of bigger than normal FL perch in 30-35 ft which is just off the weed lines normally. Rat finke tipped with a piece of night crawler and red white tubes - itty bitty ones tipped with crawler or a meal worm had the most action - perch meat got a lot of mouthy bites. All the bites had to happen right on the bottom - 1 ft up and you did not get a bite. Caught several nice splake on the same setups and lots of bows 5-15 ft down on anything with a worm attached to it. 4 of us caught over 200 fish that day easily - and the perch are getting bigger IMO so harvest must be happening [Smile] Fished for lakers early - had some bites in 70+ ft water - but did not ice one.
[signature]
Fish about 30 yards from shore. You'll do well.
[signature]
If at all possible do what Fuzzy said and catch a sucker on the bottom first. Their meat seems to do much better than perch there and will work for any fish in the lake.
[signature]
All the advice has been good. I went last weekend and did very well. My biggest advice is to get away from the crowds. Don't be afraid to hike far away from everybody else. Stay in that 35 feet deep area and you'll catch plenty.
[signature]