Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
17 hmr for coyotes
17 hmr for coyotes.... Yes or No???
[signature]
Thats a good question. Personally, I think its a little light, but i will be interested to hear others input here.
[signature]
Under a 100 yds I would say yes?? we have killed several with 22mag and 22 lr when we are calling but have not had the chance since upgrading to the 17hmr. I know it dose a number on pot guts and prarie dogs !! Lots of damage! JMO [Smile]
[signature]
Thanks for the input. I was just wondering... would the 20 grain game point bullets work better?
[signature]
I have only ever shot the 17gr ?[:/]
[signature]
Keep it fairly close, and put one behind the ear, and you should be golden!

I've only shot 17 gr bullets, so I don't know how the 20's perform.
[signature]
I have got 2 coyotes up on my ranch with my 17HMR. Both with one shot with 17 grain bullets. It has been really awesome for rockchucks.
[signature]
I wouldn't go coyote calling with my .17 HMR, just because I know the 22-250 or 12 gauge will do a MUCH better job, but if it were the only gun in the rack, why not? Coyotes are NOT easy to put down for good - - a great many WILL get up and run off after doing the boogie dance if shot with something as light as a 17 HMR. On the other hand, kajillions have been killed with just about anything you can think of, so........? In my mind, if you're going to go to all that trouble and expense to go, why not take along a serious coyote rifle?
[signature]
I know this post is a bit older, but thought I would respond anyway.

It really depends on what you are hunting the coyotes for. Most people that hunt them for the pelts FAR prefer the .17HMR. This is because of the minimal size of the hole, giving them a more valuable pelt.

I used to follow the forums at coyotegods.com for some good info. Unfortunately I never really was able to get into the coyotes, though I would still love to learn.

However, if you are just out for fun (Shh...don't tell PETA) you can knock them down with just about anything from the .17 on up through the magnum rifles that will turn the animal inside out.
[signature]
I agree with "addicted2fishin". The entry hole is small and if you hit mid-body there is rarely an exit hole. We've shot several coyotes (me and friends) and have NEVER had one get up and run away like "mistercompletely" indicated. I like to let him get downrange of me about 150 yards and I'll hit him in the a** with a 17 and then we'll see if he gets up and runs or drops like a rock. I bet its the latter! LOL Anyway, up here in Rich Co. the .17 has been a good coyote gun and its not so damn loud like a 22-250 or 220 swift or 204 Ruger.
[signature]