Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ririe Report
Went on my annual winter campout with the Venture Scouts last night. We pulled our sleds out to my usual holes, set up camp, and then grilled some of the most amazing steaks I have ever eaten. (We eat well on my scout trips). The steaks were followed up with a dutch oven peach cobbler....Ok now on to the fishing. We drilled a couple of holes in the Command Post and finaly dropped a line around 9:30 at night. We fished until midnight and managed to pull up 5 cutts while relaxing on our cots.

We got up around 6:00AM and set up all the holes with poles even before the sun came up. As the sun came up the fish started to bite. The trout were the first ones to stretch our string which is not unusual. It seems like they are very predictable. The Kokes are not so predictable and I was worried that we were not going to get into them. We ended up with a couple small schools coming through. I was intent of finding the perch. I only found a few today although I did get an 11"er. The trout kept biting right up until noon.

We filleted the perch and kokes and had a great lunch.

The trout were caught on paddle bugs, the Kokanee on small pink jigs and flashers and the perch were mostly caught on Fiska tungsten jigs with a perch eye.

Total catch for our group 15 cuthroat, 8 Kokes, 8 Perch and 5 suckers.

We had a great time and the weather was incredible.

I'll post some pics later.

Windriver
[signature]
Thanks for the report . Sounds like you had a good time. Those are some luckey scouts. If I had only had a scout leader like that when I was in scouts I would have lasted a lot longer. To bad on the perch but there is always next time.

jim[fishin]
[signature]
Wow that is the first time I was more interested in your camp out and food vs. your fishing report! I hope your scouts appreciated it that is one heck of a good trip. I am very curious of how much planning and prep time you conducted to take on this adventure.

Well Done!

OvidCreek
[signature]
What is the best way to get those suckers on the top of the ice? I sure need some fresh filets.
[signature]
In all honesty I did not have to do that much. In fact the boys pulled the heavy sleds, cooked, and cleaned up. I just had to provided my fishing equpiment and expertise.

I am in charge of the older scouts they are between 16- and 19 years old so for the most part we are training them to be leaders and self-sufficient. For example we forgot eggs for the perch batter and paper towels for wiping hands etc...In this case we look at it as a failure in the boys planning and not on the part of of the adult leadership.

Windriver
[signature]
I would imagine that there are closer places for you to did up some suckers.[cool]

The sucker seem to hit the best for me in the middle of the day. We caught them in everything from 13-42 ft of water on paddle bugs and our kokeanee set ups.

Windriver
[signature]
Ririre is in Idaho right? Does anyone knwo a good cie fishing spot? Im wanting to go some where were i can catch fish unlike today. I would like to stay in Utah. But would be willing to go into Idaho a little and buy a 1day fishing lenice!

Thanks,
Rcturbos
[signature]
Good stuff WindRiver! Thanks for the great read and story!
[signature]