Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pump question
Being new to this inflation thing I have been reading and trying too cram all of this good information into my little brain,, I have tried to decide what type of pump u would use too top off the toons and then put it on board for the times when U have a leak or a air loss due to what ever?
what due most of you guys use? the small bicycle pumps would not put out enough volume would it??
any help out there..
wedge
[signature]
Double action pump is the best. Can get them at most marine shops, cabelas, etc... I have one to pump the toon up with then I found a smaller one in the Cabelas bargain cave that fits in a pocket on the toon.
[signature]
I use a K-Pump. It is a single action, a little more money, but way easy to carry. Basically a 3" PVC pipe about 16" long. No hose, just put it to the valve and pump.
[signature]
I have found several two way pumps in the second hand stores that pump up ifatable beds and water toys. I get them for a 1.00 and I have several. I have them in my camper shell for pumping up the boats. I keep one in a box in there in case one breaks, and i keep one on each of the boats.
Ron
[signature]
Can't beat that Price Ron...Right on!. Like I said, mine is expensive, but no room needed...that is the advantage.
[signature]
K-Pump
[signature]
Thks guys and gals...
for the information, at this time I am looking for a pump, have not found one as yet. Walmart pumps seems to be a bit on the large size.. But I have been playing with a 12v and a 110v air mattress pump from walmart that I had, it seems too me it will not pump it up tight enough in my opinion, how do u know when it is right????????
[signature]
I am assuming that the 110 pump would be used at home before you leave?

Be careful with trying to pump it up tight at home and then traveling to your lake. If a tube or toon is exposed to warmth and or sun on the way to the lake the air will expand, and it can blow out the bladder or pontoon. Extreme changes in elevation can also spell trouble.

It is better to leave it a little flabby and then top it off just before you put it in the water. I pump until the fabric is not just barely not wrinkly anymore.
[signature]
I am betting that electric pump won't pump it up enough. I use a LVM electric pump. Pumps my 10' pontoon up in minutes, but I do have to top it off with the hand pump. The electric pumps just can do it, they bog down.
So, it is spend the extra on an electric and pump up the majority with ease then spend more on a hand pump. Or, just buy a hand pump and get a good work out.
[signature]
The airhead 12V high pressure pump used for tow behind inflatables is advertised to pump up to 2.5#. Used my Cabellas gift certificate to get one for $49, which I thought was a good price. Runs easily off an 8ah SLA like they ran in their ad recently, and it is fast! The highest pressure I have been able to get when using it measures at 1.5#, which is not bad. It has some overpressure holes which might allow even higher pressure if they are taped up. One thing I don't like is that it has a very high pitch noise when not actually connected to a pontoon, and being used for inflation.

Pon

[quote wedge17.6]Thks guys and gals...
for the information, at this time I am looking for a pump, have not found one as yet. Walmart pumps seems to be a bit on the large size.. But I have been playing with a 12v and a 110v air mattress pump from walmart that I had, it seems too me it will not pump it up tight enough in my opinion, how do u know when it is right????????[/quote]
[signature]
[quote wedge17.6] it seems too me it will not pump it up tight enough in my opinion, how do u know when it is right????????[/quote]

A good rule of thumb (pun intended) is take your thumb and press on the material. It should indent almost an inch with little effort.

Several of my floating friends use Leafield's Inflatable/Raft Boat Pressure Gauge.
[signature]
Funny you mentioned the gauge. Lately I have become a big fan of a gauge specially on a pontoon. Seriously, if both toons are not the same, it will make a difference. One you probably won't notice till you try it.
Another thing, NEVER trust an electric pump to inflate a tube or toon all the way EVEN if it has a gauge. I have seen too many toon blow because they are not that accurate.
Use electric to inflate, then hand to top off...trust me, your tube/toon will last longer.
[signature]
Good comments, 'ess, I also like to use a separate accurately calibrated guage. I haven't seen a high speed vane pump that could blow up a pontoon yet, because of leaks through the high speed impeller which is leaky, non sealed pressure system. jjBut maybe some are out there. The piston type with attached guages are much slowe r and those are sealed and can easily overpressure.

The finger pressure test works once you have filled a dozen times or so, and know where to apply the pressure. Your finger will push in much further towards the pointed ends compared to the greatest circumference of a 'toon, so you should test in the same exact spot each time if you use this method. At least that seems to work better for me, when verifiying with a air guage.

Hope this helps.

Pon

[quote flygoddess]Funny you mentioned the gauge. Lately I have become a big fan of a gauge specially on a pontoon. Seriously, if both toons are not the same, it will make a difference. One you probably won't notice till you try it.
Another thing, NEVER trust an electric pump to inflate a tube or toon all the way EVEN if it has a gauge. I have seen too many toon blow because they are not that accurate.
Use electric to inflate, then hand to top off...trust me, your tube/toon will last longer.[/quote]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]
Use electric to inflate, then hand to top off...trust me, your tube/toon will last longer.[/quote]

Best answer!
I do the same thing; Start with an air mattress pump and top off with a double action hand pump. End up checking with a gauge.
[signature]
This may sound dumb but, what type of a guage are we talking about??? I have a classic colorada 9' and the valves on it are the type that U put air in them while they are in the closed position . so when U quite putting air in they seal, therefore a guage will not work unless U open the valve. Am I not thinking right???? as U can tell this is all new too me, so please forgive my stupidity.[crazy][crazy][blush]
thks too all
lwest
[signature]
Like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0052668320252a.shtml

or this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018OOS5U/ref=...B0018OOS5U

or this:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/35027265903...eItemTypes
[signature]
Now I understand!!!!!! U don't have too hit me in the head with a hammer more than three times too make me get it.
thks
lwest
[signature]
LMAO...I wouldn't do that...he, he, he. Too bad they are so pricie though, but they are worth it!
[signature]
I think you were describing the boston valve for your 'toon so that would be the one from Amazon in goddess' link. The small fingers on the end would appear to push in on the membrane so that pressure can be measured. Good find, goddess, wondered where you could get those.

Pon

[quote wedge17.6]Now I understand!!!!!! U don't have too hit me in the head with a hammer more than three times too make me get it.
thks
lwest[/quote]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess] Seriously, if both toons are not the same, it will make a difference. One you probably won't notice till you try it. [/quote]

The difference in pressure causes uneven drag in the water between the two tubes, causing you to row unevenly all day. At least that's what I've been told.[Wink]

I "allowed" a bit of rain to get in my tubes last summer, and although the pressure might be right, weight distribution wasn't. Another reason for circular floating in slack water areas.
[signature]