Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bottled Fish?
Hey Guys,
I was just wondering if anyone knows of any good recipes for bottling trout and salmon?
Thanks!!
[signature]
maybe this? personally i just learned how to smoke fish, let me know if this works out.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,ho...ut,FF.html
[signature]
Bottled and smoked are my favorites.

To bottle them, I gut, head and tail the fish. Then drop them into boiling water for 2 to 4 minutes, depending on size. This will cook the skin off and the meat more than halfway through. Take them out of the boiling water with a large spatula and rinse under cold water until you can handle the fish without burning your hands. Peel the skin and fins off, rinse and thumb the meat off into a large bowl. (You can stuff the whole carcass into the jar as the bones will soften with processing, but on the larger fish the spinal cord comes out like a rubber band. It's kinda gross.)

When you have all the fish removed from the bones, stuff your jars (I use pint size.) and leave about 3/4" headspace.

Then add:

1 or 2 tablespoons of Kraft Creamy French dressing to taste (I like 2)
1 tablespoon water.
1/2 teaspoon salt.

Cap and process at 15 lb for 90 minutes in a pressure cooker.

This is great on it's own, on crackers or mix up with mayo like tuna salad. I use only rainbows for bottling as the skin comes off very easily. Some of the other species like brookies are hard to skin this way. Boiling to get the skin off is also a great way to start if you are going to pan fry or grill trout. Just reduce the boiling time to around a minute so the flesh is not so thorougly cooked. Rinse off, pat dry and do your peferred cooking thing!

Good luck,

Jim
[signature]
Thanks kochanut there are some great recipes there.
and thanks Jim that sounds really good ill give that one a try!
[signature]
here's one I have posted on here a few times.

[font "Times New Roman"]Bottled fish Trout or Whitefish[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]In one pint bottle put.....[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]1 bay leaf on bottom[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Pack fish tightly to within one inch of top (do not add water)[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]½ teaspoon lemon pepper[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]½ teaspoon salt[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]1 tablespoon Caesar Italian salad dressing (oil)[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] or[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]1 tablespoon Catalina dressing[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] Or[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]1 tablespoon French dressing(this colors light fish to look more like salmon)[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]½ Jalapeno pepper (cut up) [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Add enough water in cooker to cover bottles about ½ way.(not real critical, just don’t cover the lids. Boil flats before using to sterilize.(tip-alternate how flats are placed in to boil and they will be a lot easier to get apart) Make sure bottles and lids are washed clean. Add all ingredients to bottles. Don’t over fill. If the ingredients boil out, you may not get a good seal. Clean lip of bottle with a damp rag just before the flat in placed on.(very important or it may not seal) Put on rings and tighten fairly tight(you don’t have to be a gorilla) Place bottles in cooker and secure cooker lid. Turn on heat but have the petcock open or the weight off. After steam is coming out of the hole pretty good(usually takes about 10 minutes) flip petcock shut or place weight on. Watch pressure rise and start timing the 110 minutes when it reaches 13#. You will have to turn the heat down now to maintain the correct pressure. Dependant on your stove, it will be somewhere between low and medium.(You will learn to make adjustments slightly before needed. i.e.: If pressure is climbing, turn down before you reach 13#) Cook at 13# in pressure cooker for a minimum of 110 minutes(for 4700 foot altitude) This is plenty of time but is a measure of safety and doesn’t hurt the fish. When time is up, turn off heat and leave it alone until the pressure reads zero. Don’t try and open early or the escaping steam can suck the juices out of the bottles. Open cooker and remove bottles. Let them sit undisturbed until they “pop” and seal. Occasionally one will not seal. Don’t worry, just refrigerate and eat it. This makes just about the best lunch you can take fishing. Just have some crackers to put it on[/font]
[signature]
I am actually glad that you asked this question. I have been meaning to ask it, and it looks like two good recipies that I will have to try. I have been wanting to bottle fish for awhile, and recently got a smoker so I am thinking smoked and bottled!
[signature]
1. I generally like to experiment with flavors but here are a couple of my favorites. After you have brined the fish I forget exactly how much salt but you can find that on most canning sites I like to add to the bottle
1 slice of onion the size of the bottom of the jar (dont separate the rings leave it whole.
about 1-2 table spoons soy sauce
about the same to a little more brown sugar (basically till it tastes like teryake sauce then add a little bit of liquid smoke (your own preference) and can as usual.

2. another good one is after brining add a little smoke and then about a teaspoon of mustard seeds and 2 teaspoons of ground yellow mustard (or you can add 3 table spoons of yellow mustard from a bottle)

3. Finally one of my favorites is to use the same recipe as the first one but then add a tablespoon of minced garlic and a tablespoon of ginger. Also makes a great marinade for smoking fish with if you just mix in the proportions you want for as much fish as you are smoking. one important rule though if you don't want to cover up the taste of the fish don't leave it in this marinade long. Soy sauce soaks in fish fast. usually when i am smoking fish with this I actually just lay the fillets in the marinade for a minute or two and then sprinkle brown sugar on the top of the fillet in the smoker. If I want a strong teryake ginger flavor then i leave it in for an hour or so.
Jed Burton
[signature]
when thinking about bottling your fish caught in Utah, you might want to consider that the fish you bottle are still considered as part of your daily bag and possesion limit. Only once those fish are consumed do they leave your limit.

From the 2010 Utah Fishing Guidebook (page 15-16):

Quote:In Utah, the bag and possession limits are • the same. For example, once you’ve harvested a limit of trout, you cannot harvest any more trout until you’ve consumed or donated at least some of the trout you’ve harvested. So, if you eat one trout, you can harvest one more the next day; if you eat a full limit, you can harvest a full limit the next day.

So, basically, if you bottle 4 trout, you can't keep any more trout until you eat at least 1 of the bottled trout.

I'm not trying to cause issues on this thread -- I'm just trying to make sure that people understand that bottling the fish does not remove them from your daily bag and possession limit. I'd hate for anyone to go get themselves in a "pickle" because they thought they could stock up for the summer by bottling all of their fish they caught during the winter...

(if we really want to get technical, we could start in on the issue of cooking fish while out on the water, or ice....)
[signature]
I always label my bottled fish- I have a sticker that says.
Date caught:
State caught; - 50 choices.
[signature]
I am glad you said this. I was wondering about that. But then BOTTLED FISH???? just doesn't sound all that great, smoked yes.
What about the traces of Mercury....? [laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess] What about the traces of Mercury....? [laugh][laugh][laugh][/quote]

adds to the flavor and puts hair on your chest
[signature]
"BAG LIMIT" That is an important thing to keep in mind! Thanks!!
[signature]
Thanks everyone!
[signature]