Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When the water is too high weber/provo river?
I remember last year around late spring or early summer the water got too high to fish in provo and weber river, but can't remember exactly when. I ask this because some of my fly fishing buddies are planning a trip here around that time. I always told them how good trout fishing is around here, so I really don't want to disappoint them. Thanks for any help!
[signature]
Peak water flows are due to the spring run off they usually run March / April but all depends on the weather and hot or cold the temps are.

check out:

http://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/wsup/pub2/peak...09&month=6

and look though the 2008 & 2009 almanacs check the CFS averages it will kinda give you a better idea when the peak flows were in the past and you can guesstimate a forecast on future river flows.
[signature]
there is no such thing in my book.... there is something called safe wading, but if you search enough there is shore line... anyway like i was saying, personaly as long as the water isent chocolate milk, i high stick, dap, chezck nymph.... what ever it takes, and like last year i get lucky from time to time
[signature]
2,530 CSF was the peak average for the Provo River last year for more experienced anglers like you and I we know to avoid faster waters and move up or down stream.

But for less experienced anglers I think its hard for them to gauge what a safe river might be.

Ive helped out a huge guy trying to wade the Lower Provo right near the tunnel underpass, we were walking the shoreline when he lost his footing and down he went. His waders quickly filled full of water carried him like a float tube Me and my Buddie ran down shoreline and grabbed him and pulled him out. He was so thankful but we were Confused why he tried to cross the river in that currant.
[signature]
Thanks! the website is very helpful.
[signature]
wouldn't you agree that when the water is high and fast it is more difficult to fish? What's the best time of the spring in your book?
[signature]
I don't think it is harder to fish (aside from the stained water) but rather harder to access.
I know at run off on the section of the Provo I fish, it gets down right hard to get to portions of the river.

SAN JUAN WORMS!!!![laugh][laugh]
[signature]
i wouldent. i would say its more difficult to find pocket water, thats usually what i fish when the river is running high, and like FG said, SJW's! what i typically do is find a large rock, or go to a place where i know one is and just dap, but it also requires me on my kness or belly crawling to active fish. my absolute go to fly on the provo, any time of the year is the Barr's Emerger, 18 or smaller (the smaller the better) as my bottom dropper, no matter what else is above it.

hope that some what helps
[signature]