Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let me paint you a picture.........
Imagine this if you will. A 40 year old man jumping up and down in his basement on Sunday night, giddy as a 5 year old girl when you tell her that she is getting a pony for her birthday. His eyes as big as small platters from the joy he is filled with from the idea that he gets to take the following Monday off and go fishing.
The wonderful images that flow through his mind of being on the ice, two poles, both dipping in unison with perch, trout and walleye fighting over the bait that he offers up. The images of sunshine, no slush and 40 degree weather.
So enthrawled at the images in his head that he has drool running down his chin and soaking his Bass Pro sweatshirt. Well that was me just last night.
I had it all planned out, had everything rigged up and ready to go for this morning, and I went...........to Deer Creek. Why DC?? Why not, I thought to myself it should be pretty good fishing. I've done my homework, I've read the reports, I've pm'd and called and talked to people. Hell I even drove by it yesterday just to make sure on exactly where I wanted to go.

I got there at 7am, Rainbow Bay, south point so I could see all the way up the lake and all the way to the south boat ramp. I drilled holes, first in real close to the point. So close that the water should have only been 4 feet deep, but I knew it was deeper than that. Anyone whom has ever fished that south point knows it dives like my Trigonometry grade did in highschool. So my first two holes are in 12 and 15 feet of water. I fish them for 20 minutes, then move out to 20 and 23 feet, still no bites and nothing on the radar either (I know its a sonar, take it easy). I change baits a couple of times, try different water columns, try 35 and 40 feet.......nothing.
Obviously this lake has been fished completely out!! Nothing left, must be because an experienced fisherman such as myself would have at least gotten a bite by now....right???? Ok, ok, so I am not such an accomplished fisherman but geez, one bite for crying out loud, is that to much to ask?
I moved back down into the bay, maybe a slimer in here. Nothing. Different depths again, different water columns, different baits. Nothing.

So this is my report for a full day of fishing at DC.
1. I am a horrible fisherman........stating the obvious.
2. DC, at least Rainbow Bay really really sucked today.

But it was a nice day, sunshine, 40 degrees and no slush... but I'd trade it all for one nice fish.
[signature]
Nice Report. Sometimes you get into em, sometimes not....but a day spent fishing is always one well spent. Thanks for sharing your day and posting...Maybe next time.... : ) ,

Shawn
[signature]
[quote 5wtrod]

I've done my homework, I've read the reports, I've pm'd and called and talked to people.

[/quote]

You should have PM'd or called me and I would have sent you anywhere but Rainbow Bay at Deer Creek. Three of us fished it 1/2 day on Saturday and we ended up with one fish to show for it and two missed bites. I even called a guy (while I was on the ice) who had fished it the night before to find out exactly where he had been fishing and caught a few and I still couldn't catch a fish.
[signature]
[#502800]It is not in the fishing itself......It is the anticipation, the preparation, and the lunch.[/#502800]
[signature]
Are your poles tipped with those wires with the bead on the end. They are a must; some of the bites I got this weekend were so light that without those I would have probably caught nothing. There were a couple of times I noticed a slight movement on those; got up and looked down the hole and the fish were actually bumping the bait. Apparently there wasn't enough bait on it to interest them; thus I pulled it up rebaited and 30 mins later a light but better bite.

Big A
[signature]
[font "Courier New"][#000050][size 3]Awwww *huggle-pat*

I guess this is how life does "bait and switch". Everything seems perfect, then "HA! Sucker!" from good ol'e Fate.
[/size][/#000050][/font]
[signature]
First let me say that I loved reading your report. I was out by the island on Sat. morning after working a grave shift and needing to go again that night. I was with a friend that I was introducing to ice fishing and his son. We moved all over and tried different things but I had to go after a while and missed the only bite I had. Some times you get them and sometimes you don't.

After I left, my friend iced 3 bows and a 20# carp. You should have seen his face at work that night. He and his boy had a great time getting those fish on the ice and can't wait to try again.

All the waiting seems to be forgotten when success is realized. Isn't fishing great?
[signature]