Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview Interlude 2-9-10
[cool][#0000ff]Met fellow BFTer Toadly at the narrows about midday today. 19 degrees, light breeze and a few wispy snowflakes as we drilled our first holes. The good news is that the slush monster has chilled out...at least for now. About a foot of packed snow on top of frozen slush. Heavy slogging for a fat old man but better than semi swimming.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A few light bites along the northerly side of the channel. Drilled and dipped in water from 35 to 50 feet. Saw lots of marks on sonar but they all had their little mouths closed and the middle ray of their fins upraised.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Slogged across to an old favorite venue on the south side. Fortunately the sun had broken through and the wind had died. Actually quite nice when we got our first holes drilled and began fishing. Also got pretty quick responses to our first drops...quick but little. DinkORama. Lots of biters on the small stuff we sent down for the finicky fishies. Perch meat or crawlers. Both got bit.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We both saw lots of fish coming through on sonar, from bottom to above mid depth in 40 feet. Some larger targets too...hopefully crappies. But, once again reeling up to the blips only produced exercise for our reeling hands. Nary a bite anywhere over about 2 feet from the bottom.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I finally broke out some of my "holy jigs"...glow metal flashers with a short wire and a glow "rinkee" jig. Figured if the larger fish were full of easy targets it might take something bigger and fancier to get their attention. First drop scored my biggest perch of the day...almost 11". Got a couple of other semi keepers on it through the afternoon but the little ones kept finding ways to get the larger hook in their little mouths too. Creative little buggers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Todd and I both caught a grundle of dinksters, but very few that put any bend on our sticks. Still, it was good meeting new BFTer on the water (ice) and sharing some old memories of places we both knew. I'm guessing this will not be our last "hook up".[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I gotta say that hill going back up at the narrows gets steeper and longer every year. It was great going down. I just let the sled run ahead of me, guiding it down the well worn rut with my new utility rope. Coming back up that hill my heart stopped a couple of times. Had to take it out and stomp it back into action so I could reach the top. WHEW.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Outstanding report, sounds like a cold day out on the water but you put in a lot of detail.... I've never heard of Holy jigs, can you explain to me what they are??? I'm wondering if it is ice jig for crappie, or it can be used in streams/lakes all over North America.... Sunday, we pinged many fish on sonar close to Marina, all of them where suspended about 50 yards off wooden dock at Marina... I threw Silver buddies and hair jigs but could not get a bite... Good possibility those fish were trout schooling and not bass... Sometimes in the winter rainbow trout will school close to boat docks because of bait fish hovering close by.... One of these days they will make fish finder that defines what type of fish sonar is picking up... What ever manufacture developes one will make billions of dollars, freshwater and saltwater it could be used....
[signature]
I sure had a great time fishing with you Tubedude. Boy that trophy I caught sure made my hands look big [Wink]. Looking forward to another day of fishing on the hard stuff but I am more looking forward to open water again. Sometimes the fishing is better than the catching.
[signature]
Guys, those were some great looking pictures... Winter time pictures are some of the most beautiful ones... Plus, having the fish and lures in the back ground makes it even more speacial... I definately appreciate you posting them because it makes me want to get out there and do some ice fishing.... Do you catch many Walleye out there???
[signature]
Just downloaded the pictures from my camera and wanted to add them to your story. We sure drilled alot of hole yesterday. Eight holes in the second spot alone I think you had a least that many in the first spot, so that is 16. That electric auger is great I have got to get me one of those.[cool]
I got a scam PM this morning from a Mrs Josephine Briggs, promising to make me the "beneficiary of her fund". Wow, the stuff people try. Watch out people...[laugh]
[signature]
"I've never heard of Holy jigs, can you explain to me what they are???"

[cool][#0000ff]"Holy Jigs" are my own personal takeoff on the popular Hali Jigs. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[Image: suk35_cat.jpg]
[#0000ff]Those commercially made models work well, but the little chain tends to break easily, especially on big toothy fishies. The hooks are also wimpy and bend easily. Furthermore, they are $pendy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]However, the principle is proven. Perch and other species are attracted by the large flasher/lure and then tip down and slurp up the baited hook. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Instead of chain, I use fine .016 stainless wire. It is actually less visible than the chain and does not tangle as easily. Since it is 50# test, it will handle even the occasional toothy critter. The jigs I use are usually glow models of my "Rinkees" or "Glow Wermz". they hold horizontally because of the balance I build into them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When the going gets tough and the perch are right on the bottom, I drop down one of those bad boys and bang it up and down on the bottom a few times to create a mud cloud. Then I raise it up a bit...just about the length of the wire...and let it sit right off the bottom. With the weight of the flasher part (1/4 oz.) you have good feel and there are no loose coils in the line. Every bite registers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
"Sunday, we pinged many fish on sonar close to Marina, all of them where suspended about 50 yards off wooden dock at Marina"
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those fish were most likely suspended crappies. That is what crappies do. Highly unlikely they were trout. There are a few trout in Pineview but they are no longer stocked and there are not enough to form large suspending schools.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Both crappies and perch are slowing down on the bite a bit right now. A combination of factors. Lower late winter oxygen levels are only part of it. The other big factor is that the big females are not feeding much because the growing egg masses in their tummies does not leave much room for eating big meals. They will still cruise in and mouth a small bait...out of instinct more than hunger...but they usually don't smack it as hard as they do earlier in the ice fishing season.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Perch and crappies are both early spawners. The perch will hit shoreline weeds and brush right at iceout...or even under the ice in winters when the ice is late coming off. Crappies usually spawn in April or May...depending on weather or water temps. But, both species are feeling the stirrings of the upcoming "spring fling" and both are not as much motivated by feeding now.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]PS. If you really wanna know what species is showing up on your sonar, get an Aqua Vu camera. Those things quickly answer the identity questions. They can also help you to put the hook in fish that suck in the bait and spit it out again without you feeling the bite or seeing it on your rod. AND...that does happen a lot more than most anglers would like to believe.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
"Do you catch many Walleye out there???"

[cool][#0000ff]Sorry. No walleye in Pineview (officially).[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you liked the auger. Once you get used to the fact that it does not have the power or torque of a gas auger you can do some damage without killing yourself. Quieter and not as smelly either.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About that scam email...don't bother responding. I have already sent my $20,000 and am awaiting receipt of the megabucks they promised. You are too late. I got there first. Neener neener.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude]"I've never heard of Holy jigs, can you explain to me what they are???"

[cool][#0000ff]"Holy Jigs" are my own personal takeoff on the popular Hali Jigs. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[.img][url "http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_bHOvq3JLuUEAS9ejzbkF/SIG=12md2cdua/EXP=1265892655/**http%3a//www.fish307.com/ProductImages/catagories/hali/suk35_cat.jpg[/img]"]http://rds.yahoo.com/.../suk35_cat.jpg[/img][/url]
[#0000ff]Those commercially made models work well, but the little chain tends to break easily, especially on big toothy fishies. The hooks are also wimpy and bend easily. Furthermore, they are $pendy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]However, the principle is proven. Perch and other species are attracted by the large flasher/lure and then tip down and slurp up the baited hook. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Instead of chain, I use fine .016 stainless wire. It is actually less visible than the chain and does not tangle as easily. Since it is 50# test, it will handle even the occasional toothy critter. The jigs I use are usually glow models of my "Rinkees" or "Glow Wermz". they hold horizontally because of the balance I build into them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When the going gets tough and the perch are right on the bottom, I drop down one of those bad boys and bang it up and down on the bottom a few times to create a mud cloud. Then I raise it up a bit...just about the length of the wire...and let it sit right off the bottom. With the weight of the flasher part (1/4 oz.) you have good feel and there are no loose coils in the line. Every bite registers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
"Sunday, we pinged many fish on sonar close to Marina, all of them where suspended about 50 yards off wooden dock at Marina"
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those fish were most likely suspended crappies. That is what crappies do. Highly unlikely they were trout. There are a few trout in Pineview but they are no longer stocked and there are not enough to form large suspending schools.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Both crappies and perch are slowing down on the bite a bit right now. A combination of factors. Lower late winter oxygen levels are only part of it. The other big factor is that the big females are not feeding much because the growing egg masses in their tummies does not leave much room for eating big meals. They will still cruise in and mouth a small bait...out of instinct more than hunger...but they usually don't smack it as hard as they do earlier in the ice fishing season.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Perch and crappies are both early spawners. The perch will hit shoreline weeds and brush right at iceout...or even under the ice in winters when the ice is late coming off. Crappies usually spawn in April or May...depending on weather or water temps. But, both species are feeling the stirrings of the upcoming "spring fling" and both are not as much motivated by feeding now.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]PS. If you really wanna know what species is showing up on your sonar, get an Aqua Vu camera. Those things quickly answer the identity questions. They can also help you to put the hook in fish that suck in the bait and spit it out again without you feeling the bite or seeing it on your rod. AND...that does happen a lot more than most anglers would like to believe.[/#0000ff][/quote]

Other day I was at the Bass Pro shop and looked at the underwater cameras... I'm a little sceptical because water clarity would have to play a hugh factor whether fish are visible enough to see with one of those things.... Certainly, if it would work I would probably be doing more searching for fish than I would be fishing.....
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yes, water clarity and light levels are big factors in being able to see fish...especially at any distance. Below the ice the water usually clears up a lot because there is no wind to stir up sediment and the algae and other microorganisms decrease in the colder water. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another potential problem is being able to point the camera in the desired direction. There are shafts and other control devices to help with that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is easy to become so involved with "watching TV" that you don't pay proper attention to the fishing. But, if you ever take youngsters or newbies along that thing will keep them entertained when they become bored with the fishing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I've been wanting to do some research on Smallmouth habitats... One of things that I'm wanting to do is study the movements/migration, structure and where majority of big smallmouth stay on a routine basis... Placing a transmitter on a smallmouth over 6lbs and following that fish for whole year would be the best case scenario.... Finding the location of the structure and banks the fish settles into during Spring spawn and during the feeding frenzys I would like to use underwater camera to see if the fish schools around smallmouth same size and age... Not only would I be able to pattern the smallmouth this would give me important information that I can use to fish for the World Record... But I would not be able to do this by myself I would have to have partner to help out on this too... If you know any scientist interested please have them contact me....
[signature]
[quote Madman25]

I've been wanting to do some research on Smallmouth habitats... One of things that I'm wanting to do is study the movements/migration, structure and where majority of big smallmouth stay on a routine basis... Placing a transmitter on a smallmouth over 6lbs ....

[/quote]

Can't tell if you are serious or not, but if you are you better get this blessed by the powers that be before attempting this.
[signature]
[#211d1e][size 3][#211d1e][size 3]Release of tagged or marked fish
[/size][/#211d1e][/size][/#211d1e][font "Myriad Pro Cond,Myriad Pro Cond"][#211d1e][size 1][font "Myriad Pro Cond,Myriad Pro Cond"][#211d1e][size 1][font "Myriad Pro Cond,Myriad Pro Cond"][#211d1e][size 1]Utah Admin. Rule R657-13-18
[#211d1e][size 2][#211d1e][size 2]You may not, without prior authorization from the Division, perform any of the following activities:

[/size][/#211d1e][/size][/#211d1e]
[/size][/#211d1e][/font][/size][/#211d1e][/font][/size][/#211d1e][/font][font "Myriad Pro Cond,Myriad Pro Cond"][#211d1e][size 2][font "Myriad Pro Cond,Myriad Pro Cond"][#211d1e][size 2][font "Myriad Pro Cond,Myriad Pro Cond"][#211d1e][size 2][#211d1e][size 2][#211d1e][size 2]*Tag, mark or fin-clip a fish and return it to the water

[cool][#0000ff]Always interesting to observe fish and to learn new things about them. But most states have regulations against conducting your own tagging or marking research.[/#0000ff]
[/size][/#211d1e][/size][/#211d1e][/size][/#211d1e][/font][/size][/#211d1e][/font][/size][/#211d1e][/font]
[signature]