Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Casting a fly with a spinning reel
I am just wondering if it would be possiable to cast a fly on a regular spinning reel. i thought of one idea but i dont know if it is plausable but here goes. if you would put a fly on a leader under a swivel and above the swivel have a bobber that didnt have anything to stop it so the line could be passed through it as the fly floated would a setup like this work.
[signature]
I do most of my flyfishing with a spinning reel. Attach a clear bubble on the line, fill the bubble either all the full, or leave just enough air in it that it will just barely float (try both ways). Use a swivel or a small sinker (my preference) to stop the bubble from sliding down your line. Attach about 4 feet of leader. Tie on your fly. Cast and retrieve at various speeds until you find the fly and retrieve speed that they are hitting. This setup has been referred to as a Uintah fly rod. Because I am able to cast a lot further, especially on lakes, I have outfished many a flyfisherman who was using a traditional fly rod.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Kent's reply hit the nail on the head. Except me and my friends have always refered to it as a "fly and bubble". The bubble even acts as a bit of an attractor and then the fish sees the fly following behind and nails it. Works great on a lake and only ok on a streem. On a lake you can huck that thing WAY out there. I used that technique almost exclusively as a boy up in the Windrivers (Wyoming's version of the Uintahs). The concept is definately nothing new and is a well proven way to get a fly out on the evening trout boils.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Using the fly and bubble technique is an excellent way to fish lakes. However, it is pretty tough to do on streams, especially since the size of the average river or stream around here is so small. Maybe on the Green if the fish aren't too smart.

If you are trying to fish nymphs in a stream you can do a pretty good job with a spinning rod. Put a short dropper line a foot up from the end of the line and attach your fly to the end of the dropper. Then crimp a few sinkers to the end of the main line. This will keep your fly near the bottom and if the weight gets caught in the rocks the sinkers will pull off the end instead of losing your fly and everything. This can be very effective and personally I find it easier than fishing nymphs with a fly rod.

m
[signature]
heres two links to some previous posts by TubeDude that ive found valuable...

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=44378"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=44378[/url]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=45661"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=45661[/url]

sm
[signature]
In many lakes in the high uintas, the fish are so hungy that they'll hit just about anything. Using the "fly and a bubble" technique with a swivel, I've had many fish actually hit the swivel too. I've thought about hooking a small hook onto the swivel to try and catch one of these, but I'ver never tried it. You can't beat the fly and a bubble technique in the uintahs. For me it works much better than any spinner you could cast. I should mention, that you should fill the bubble all the way full if you're fishing with a nymph, and about 1/2 to 3/4 full if you're fishing a dry fly.[Wink]
[signature]
Hey cat_man,

I have tried it and it worked. I was at Jean Lake in the Four Lakes Basin in the Uintas and I noticed that fish kept hitting the swivel as well as the fly. So I dug down in the little gear that I had and found a gold treble hook, about size 16. I snapped that onto the swivel and began to fish. I soon forgot about the additional hook as I caught several more fish. Then I caught a fish that was coming in wierd. He was spinning and twisting like I had hooked him in the side. Then I realized that he was hooked on that treble hook. It was an interesting experiment and also taught me that you can catch a fish on anything at the right time at the right place.

m
[signature]
LOL.

That's what I should have done. I think that there is such a short time from when the ice comes off to when the lakes ice over again the next fall when you're up that high, so the fish kind of have to just eat anything they see that even resembles food, just to be able to survive the extremely long winters.

What is also funny to me is that a few years ago I was fishing for bluegill at Utah Lake on the dike south of the Provo boat harbor, and was using a worm and a bobber. We would just put on a 1/4 inch piece of worm and were catching dozens of them. When we ran out of worms, we just threw in our bare hooks and slowly reeled them in. Those little bluegills would hit that too! We caught several more on just a bare hook. Hilarious.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Triple F. You are "breaking the code" As others have posted, fishing flies on spinning gear can be very effective...and a lot of fun.

I once got a whole bunch of pages written on "101 Ways To Spin a Fly", before I gave up. I abbreviated it into about 4 pages that cover the most effective ways to serve up feathers without using a fairy wand. I am attaching that at the bottom of the page for anyone who wants a few new ideas.

Almost everyone has tried the bubble and fly rig. However, not many have used flies with sinkers...or with a piece of fly line...or lead core...or even with a small piece of stick to float a fly downstream in tight cover. If you know how to tie knots and how to make effective casts, there are no limits to the number of ways you can present flies with spinning gear.

One of the most exciting ways I ever fished flies on spinning gear...besides the high-low dropshot rig in deep moving water...is fishing big streamers and wooly buggers downstream behind a bubble. You cast downstream, or just let the current carry your bubble and groceries down as far as you can work it effectively. Then, using a long rod, work the bubble and following fly back and forth upstream...lingering over pockets and next to undercut or overgrown banks. When a big old trout comes crashing out of cover to smash that irritating big fly, it can be heartstopping...especially just at dark.

Give 'em heck...and don't be intimidated by the old fart in the fancy duds, waving a thousand dollar rod, who tries to convince you that you won't (can't) catch anything. Chances are that you will outfish him. That tends to shut them up pretty quick.
[signature]
Another time I was fishing Silver Lake at Brighton. There were a bunch of rainbows in a deeper hole where the water leaves the lake. They seemed to be very willing to hit anything. When the huge fly I was using was chewed to shreds and was little more that a hook with some thread on it, and the fishing slowed, I picked up a piece of foil(from a Hersey's Kiss) that I found on the ground and wrapped it on the hook. I started catching fish again. But the foil kept coming off and I ran out of litter except for cigarette butts. So I hooked a butt on and was back into the fish. By then I had caught and released about 30 rainbows in about an hour(that ain't no fish story!). I was still fishing when a fish cop came up to me to do a creel survey. He asked me if I'd had any luck. I told him that I'd caught a few. He asked many how and when I told him 30 his eyes got big and he looked around. I informed him that I had released them all and he relaxed. He never did ask me what I was using. I don't know why but I was embarrased the whole time I talked to him.

m
[signature]
Great story Matador.[cool]

You never know what you might catch something on these days.[crazy]

P.S. Do you speak spanish or just like the name? Just curious.
[signature]
I went on a mission to Spain many years ago.
[signature]
i thought it was 'cause you dont like any bull !

[cool]

sm
[signature]
Oh, I like it enough, well done with steak sauce and a fresh salad on the side.
[signature]
Try a ribeye medium rare sometime - tell em you want it 'pittsburgh' thats charred on the outside red in the middle - and youll never go back to well done!

[Wink]

sm
[signature]
SouthernMan,you forgot the tall glass of draft bud[Wink][Wink][Wink]"BIG FISH RULE"M.H.
[signature]
sm,

Actually I like my steaks medium, but I didn't write that because it didn't sound as funny. Well, that was th idea.

[cool]
[signature]
yasssss yasssss [cool]

sm
[signature]
didnt have that certain ring to it? hahhahah

sm
[signature]
Hey Matador.....which mission and which years? I was in Barcelona 2001-2002. I'm going back with my wife in less than two weeks! Can't wait. We'll be in Madrid, Alcala, Toledo, Barcelona, Valencia, Alicante, and Elche.
[signature]