Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uinta Trout via the sled
Went up into the Uintas for one last ride on the sleds (my buddies sleds not mine) but we went for a specific purpose. We went to try to get Artic Grayling and big Tigers on the ice from Washington Lake.
It was a fantastic trip, not as much snow as there was last year but we managed to get up there and test it out. The ice was not as thin as last year, 18 to 20 inches and the trout were very willing to come and bite just about anything you put down there. We were using small white and char tubes with a meal torn in half and we did really well. We both caught roughly 30 to 35 rainbows suspended at around 10 feet, I caught 15 super nice tigers, largest was 20 inches, right down close to the bottom in about 18 to 20 feet of water. He caught about a dozen tigers the largest being 18 inches. But we both managed to catch Artic Grayling, nothing big, the largest I caught was 11 inches. The graylings were caught on small pink and yellow ice flies tipped with only half of a torn mealy, and they were mostly about 7 feet down.
It was a great day, there are pics I will have to get from my buddy as he was the only one smart enough to bring his camera.
[signature]
Now I am jealous and wish I had a sled.[cool] Sounds like a fun day on the ice.
[signature]
I'm with you...sounds like loads of fun!!

Can't wait to see the pics!
[signature]
Sounds like a blast! How long is the ride into Washington?
[signature]
Nice Report! I know I'm jealous.....
[signature]
What was the temperature like up there?
[signature]
Sweeet. I'm envious. Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
once you unloaded your sleds how long did it take to get there? Did you park in the Soapstone parking lot?
[signature]
Thanks guys, and yes it was a blast!! Probably one of the best rides that we have taken this year on the sleds. I couldn't tell you how long it took cause we kept stopping to watch the sun come up in the trees and to talk about future sled/fishing trips up in that area. We unloaded the sleds and took off around 6am and we were fishing by 7:15ish. We probably could have made it sooner but there was just to much to stop and see on the way in......beautiful ride.
When we got up there it was COLD!!! And I mean flat out, bust out the north pole parkas cold. And the fish did not seem to mind a bit cause they were biting from the get go. BUT as the day drew on either it warmed up or I just got numb to the cold cause at about 10 or 11 it seemed to warm up a good bit. That just made the ride out a little harder, the sleds would go through powder then hit hard snow then hit soft almost slush, it was a good ride though.
[signature]