Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Fishing Guess Work
I'm not sure if this will help you with the egg color, but during this time of year up until about April, I have found that a 6mm otters tangerine egg or the one that looks cloudy works really well. When you tie them, tie just a little tiny bit of white antron from the eye.
when I fish them, I will usually dead drift them about 8 feet below a strike indicator just like nymphing but with no weight.
[signature]
I have two questions now.

One is where are you putting the egg? On the hook or above the hook?

Two, what is Antron?

I just received my trout beads today and I was thinking about trying them on the fly rod. Dropping something small like these beads below a strike indicator will be easy. Just not sure where I should put them. Maybe I should try a few different ways?

By the way, welcome to the forum.
[signature]
thanks man I have some 6mm trout beads I picked up a while back that should work.
[signature]
I would guess if it is a plastic bead then above the hook...hook as a stinger.
Some use a toothpick tip to hold them.

Antron is like a yarn. You can also use white marabou. Oh an I use antron for a parachute on my flies, so maybe that gives you an idea of what it looks like.
[signature]
Can these beads be purchased locally (rexburg to blackfoot) or online only? I have heard about them for some time and want to try them. I also hear they can work well for steelhead.
[signature]
They carry them now at Sportsmans in IF, but today they were pretty cleaned out when I was there.
[signature]
Gotcha! Kinda figured it was something white. I will come up with something.

Did not know Sportsman's carried the beads. Do they have the Glow in the Dark beads also? I forgot to order those and think they may do quite well ice fishing.

One other thing I want to do this summer is catch a Bass (over 12") on the fly rod. Anybody else do this with any success?
[signature]
I had some GITD beads...thought about Walleye. But I have thread, floss in glow in the dark and nothing.
There is also White Beads and Pearl Beads....they are different. Do they make a difference...not to the fish so far.
[signature]
I got mine at sportsmens while in utah. I'm not sure if they have them in I.F. If you look up trout beads you will find the site. I think they have them in bulk packages with different sizes and colors.
[signature]
I buy the eggs from Jimmy's all season anglers in idaho falls.
When I tie them, i pute them directly on the hook shank wrap a few wraps of red thread in front of the egg, then wrap over top of the egg and tie in the white antron or white merribu. then whip finish and your done. I think it takes less than a minute to tie them. One problem I have found with using them is that when you hook a big brown or cutt throat, their teeth really tear them apart so you have to tie alot of them. The good thing is, they are really soft so when a fish does put it in its mouth, it will keep it there longer. I will try and put some pitcures of the eggs on here and if I ever figure out how to do it.
[signature]
here is a picture of the finished fly it is a little blury but i hope it helps you
[signature]
Like the pic. The beads I got from Troutbeads.com are hard, not soft. I may have to get a few soft beads and try that for the fly rod.
[signature]
I see that now also...thanks. But PRVRT, do the Alaska thing. Find a small circular hook like a salmon egg hook. Tie it on but first stick a bead on your leader. Then just take wooden toothpicks and break the tip off in the bead....I think you will be surprised how well they work. Kind of the Moffett System.

Or, you can try Glow Bugs...super easy to tie, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Z9XPdedc4
[signature]
I planned on trying it with the toothpic. I like the video, even I think I could tie that, and not mess it up. Just need to buy some hooks.
[signature]
i fish with the eggs from jimmy's and in the spring on the south fork i have caught some monster browns and cutts. again i like them because they are soft
[signature]
Absolutely...a little thread, Zap-A-Gap and a gummie egg...a little white tuft optional[laugh]
[signature]
Since someone mentioned Carp, that is one of my goals this spring. I have never caught a carp on a fly and think it will be good practice to learn how to fight a big fish before I try it on the Chinooks this summer. What flies do you use? From other posts I gather that it is usually top water and the best times seems to be spring when they are spawning. I have my 9wt Orvis I built and need to catch something on it. Location is no problem as I can find them in masses just about any where. I just need some info on the types of flies. I have heard about the popcorn fly, but do not know what it is. If I can figure this out, I may try the tournament at Blackfoot Res this spring.
[signature]
I do better off the bottom. Have caught them on dries, but not many.
I use Nymphs and black woolly buggers. At Utah Lake it was Bead head Prince Nymph on a Type II and on the river It is a floating line but a dumb bell eyed nymph or one that looks like a Yellow Glow Bug with a white hackle collar.

[Image: CarpFlies2450.jpg]

Not weighted but it sinks when it gets water logged...a good thing.
Here is your Pop Corn fly:

[Image: popcornfly.jpg]

Also these guys. About 1" long and the claws are foam and they are glued on rubber leg material

[Image: Crawfish1.jpg]
[signature]
I will have to try the bottom then. I think I can tie the Glow bug, but the popcorn looks a little iffy. I will try the nymphs and buggers also.

I just finished will my first attempt on some eggs and chironimids. These are size 12-16.

[inline eggs.jpg]

I bought some antron today and was not sure where to put it, so I did a few with it on the rear and a couple with it before the egg. Guess I will see what happens.

[inline "first try.jpg"]

Who knows how these will work. I threw in some Metallic pink and Purple thread to see what happens.

Now I just need some decent weather to go out and try them.
[signature]
I have caught a few carp on the blackfoot res and i have found that pretty much any black streamer will work.
one of my favorites is the black wooly bugger but I also use a black flesh fly or just a size 6 hook with a black rabbit stip tied to it.
[signature]