Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going with Gutt report
Deciding where to go fishing on an open weekend is a major ordeal which usually takes me all week to complete and at times takes me right up until I get in the car to decide where I am going depending on time, money, weather conditions, road conditions, BFT fishing reports, past experience, casting bones, waiting for a dream, waiting for my fishing partners to get a "feeling" etc...

This weekend I got a bad feeling about PaliSades which is not surprising since I have never done well ice fishing on PaliSades. So Steelfisher and I decided to go to Magic just to get out of town for a bit of a road trip. We got up and left town when we thought we should but for whatever reason my time travel estimates were off and the sun came up on me as we neared Carey. Still a ways from Magic I discussed the fact that we would likely miss the early morning bite if we went on to Magic. We took our chances and pulled off at Fish Creek Res.

Not knowing much about the reservoir we walked to a likely looking place and drilled a bunch of holes. We found the fish in 22' of water. The morning bite was great and then like always it slowed to a stall around 11:00AM. We decided to stick it out into the evening. The bite picked up again around 3:00PM. We ended up catching 10 beautiful fat 14-17" rainbows. Those rainbows fought really hard. I broke off two of them and Steelfisher broke off two of them. He later caught one of the ones that I broke off. My paddle bug was still in his jaw. We also caught around 30 6-14" brookies. The fishing was never easy, but with some work we kept the action going until we ran out of sunlight.

We changed jigs a lot during the day to keep the fish biting. We used pink paddle bugs, white swedish pimples and pink ratfinkees.

Sorry I still have to get pics off of camera.

Windriver
[signature]
Nice report. I always wondered if there was anything in there since they breached the damn a few years back. Only thing I caught up there a few years ago was an 1885 silver 50 cent piece I found metal detecting, which is probably why I did not catch many fish. Just might have to check it out this summer with a little more enthusiasm and see what happens. The brookies actually have me a little more interested.

Seems like that gut feeling is something you better stick with.
[signature]
How do you get to fish creek res ? Thanks Curt G.
[signature]
It is in between Arco and Sunvalley. It isn't very far outside of Carey.

Windriver
[signature]
It is north of Carrey. I could not give you good directions since I have always came in from the from the north side from Antelope Creek which is past Arco.
[signature]
If you make it to Carey, just stay on the main road that goes through. If you are coming from the south, you will go almost all the way through town. There is a sign that you really can't miss. It will be a left turn if you are heading north through Carey. If you are heading south you will come to a little hill just outside of Carey and go over it. The Carey fire station will be on your left. Again there is a sign and the turn will be on your right. It is quite a ways to the reservoir but just stay on the same road you turned off on. The reservoir will be on your left. It really is a neat place to fish. A cousin and I fished it earlier this year in the afternoon, and caught 16 rainbows and 4 brookies. The fish were all relatively small, but fun. The fish were hanging out about 7-10 feet under the ice when we fished it. Hope this helps, and good luck.
[signature]
This is also a very interesting dam to look at. It is privately owned and in disrepair which is why it was breached, but quite a lot of history behind it.
[signature]
Thanks for the help . I would love to catch some Brookies .
[signature]
Hey Windriver,how thick is the ice up there this year?
[signature]
With the slushpocket snowlayers and ice it is between 24-30". I almost couldn't make it through with my auger.

Windriver
[signature]
We drove right by the dam and lake the first time. We didn't even recognize it with so much snow on it.

Windriver
[signature]
Well I don't know what I was thinking, but I have Confused Fish Creek with Little Wood.[crazy] Sorry about that! The directions and report I have given are for Little Wood Reservoir. I have not been to Fish Creek this year, but has been kind to me in the past. As posted above, it is not far outside of Carey. Sorry if I have created any confusion.
[signature]
sounds like a great time. sucks to be sitting in the office right now.