Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Challenge for the reposite of all Info - Tube
Tube or anyone else<

Is there a way to de-scent scented plastic lures without damaging color, etc.? Why, you ask? Well I have a hot/secret lure that is really hot for a particular bass fishing spot but I just found out that I can't use it because our state does not allow scented, salted, etc. lures where no bait fishing is allowed. Wasn't aware of the reg. and wasn't aware that it was scented. I'm pretty well convinced that scent has very liottle to do with my success with this lure and would like to continue to use these and others that work well and are also scented. Is there something I can soak them in, etc. to get rid of the taste/scent to make them legal? I'd have to repackage them so there is no package/manufacture info. to indicate they are scented. This would be so that if I'm checked they can't say it's scented, etc.

Had given up with using these but thought, yuh know, why not ask.? Who knows?

[unsure]Leaky
[cool]Sorry, my friend, but most scents are added during the pouring process and are "impregnated". It's just as hard to "depregnate" a lure as it is an expectant mother.

There are some worms that come in packages with scented oil. I am betting that even if you ran them through a dishwasher, you would still have enough scent left to earn you a citation if you were checked by a sniff officer.
[signature]
Tube,

I guessed that but I thought I'd ask. I'm going to try hyd. peroxide and maybe bleach. Probably won't work! Expectant mother? That's funny!!!!!!!!!Thanks for trying!

[unsure]Leaky
Leaky,

Why not look into pouring our own plastic? or else have someone custom

pour some plastic for you.
[signature]
Have you thought of trying to soak them in a warm water and baking soda mixture? Baking soda has a remarkable ability to absorb any scents, and the warm water will help emulsify any oils, and also help dissolve the salts quickly.

Another thing you may try is the carbon based scent killers that archery hunters use.

I have no idea how the fish cops would ID your lures if these tactics appear to work. I guess if they chewed on them really hard they might claim they are scented. But I'd bet one of the above methods would remove any taste or smell that would be discernable by a human. Let me know if this works for you.
[signature]
[cool]Man, I just had a visual of Leaky setting the hook...when a fish cop tried chewing on his plastic worm.

I wonder what the slot regs are for fish cops...or is it strictly C&R?
[signature]
Hi-

You have strange rules for fishing. Do fishing police smell your baits? That must be terrible career job to have to smell stinky stuff for work.

Some plastics are treated with heat when scent is applied. They call it 'impregnate' I just looked up this word in dictionary and I get very strange mental pictures[unimpressed].

If you must take smell from plastics, try to boil water and dip them in for few seconds.

Some other plastics use scent as ingredient in plastic mixture so it will not be possible to destroy the smell.

My best option, is to not keep secrets, maybe someone can tell you unscented baits to try that are very similar.
[signature]

Hey there TubeDude,

If they got 'em for certian kinds of explosives and drugs, it's just a matter of time. I guess we'll be seeing some german shepards sniffing at our tackle boxes in the future. When the dogs start coming out to us tubers in jet skis, I'll be checking in somewhere with nice fluffy walls.

Here's an idea. If you can't use an attractant on your lures, how about soaking your float tube in the stuff? Wouldn't it be cool to have a whole school of little fishies surrounding your tube nibbling here and there where ever you went. Just like the old TV commercial, 'even your warden wouldn't know!' ha ha

With the great whites milling around here recently, I'll lay off the saltwater experimentation for awhile.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Hi, myu. This forum must provide some interesting new ideas for you. Our whole culture is different, in the USA, but the fishing and the regulations can be puzzling even to those of us who have lived here all of our lives.

Our member, Leaky, lives in northern Utah, where I also lived and fished for many years...so I am familiar with the waters and the regulations. Utah has some unique laws. Some of them are found nowhere else in the United States. However, the restriction on the use of scents and "impregnated" flavorings is also found in other waters where the fish populations are being managed closely.

Modern science has come up with some very effective chemical enhancements to help fishermen fool more fish. These are not used only by new fishermen, who cannot catch fish on artificials otherwise. Many of our most recognized professional anglers and tournament fishermen would not fish without them. In their business (fishing), they need every advantage they can get. One extra fish in a tournament...or a slightly larger one...can mean the difference between first place and finishing "out of the money".

But, as far as the fisheries officers employing "sniffer dogs" to catch those who try to get around the laws, that does not happen. However, most trained officers recognize the popular plastic baits (like Powerbaits) that are sold with scent embedded in the lures. Even if you try to remove the scent, they will cite you if they find you with those lures in your possession. They can also recognize the odors of most of the popular attractants that are sold for anglers to add on to unscented lures...or to "boost" them while fishing.

There are plenty of lure manufacturers that still make plain old unscented plastics. And, many of these will work well without scents. The key, as always, is to first be a knowledgeable fishermen and to know both your tackle and your quarry. The scents help, but they will not make you a better fish finder or help you with casting and retrieving the right way.

Like most of us who are true fishermen, Leaky has a sense of humor and tries to make light of a potentially serious situation. He would never deliberately violate the regulations on any waters, no matter how much he felt they were unfair...or just plain stupid. And, there are some laws in Utah that we can only wonder at how they came to be part of the state proclamation.

So, our new friend from Okinawa, that is your lesson for today. We are glad you have found us and that you participate in our discussions.
[signature]
Halibut, Dude, or anyone else,

To pour my own is a good suggestion. How do I find out what molds are available, colors etc. For example I would want to have a mold for Berkley's Pulse Worm, Pearl/Bl/Shad. Make my own by makng a plaster mold of it, etc?

[crazy]Leaky
Leaky,

I do not know to pour my own plastic... but I am sure molds are soldon the internet. My friend in San Diego carves his original out of hardwood then makes molds from them. I did not ask in detail about what materials he uses for the mold itself.
[signature]
I got this link a while ago of the Utah board:

[url "http://www.tackleunderground.com/tutorials/"]http://www.tackleunderground.com/tutorials/[/url]

It has some great pics and instructions on how to make your own stuff.

ES
[signature]
Good info. Emu,

In my case I want to make my own "pulse worm"! I've looked at several web sites including those that sell molds but I can't find a mold for the pulse worm and its shapes is such that you can't make a simple mold for yourself(I don't think). The method that is shown by your suggested web site appears to require a "hard" sample which would be difficult to make like a pulse worm. The only way that I can think to do it is make a mold from an actual pulse worm and because of it's shape would have to be injection molded or something!?

[unsure]Leaky
[signature]
I find it hard to believe that a state taht dose not allow the use of sented lures in their waters would allow the sale of them in their store.

you can get on the internet and go to your worm manufacture and get the same worm unsented.

manufactures will offer several different sents for each worm. (including unsented)
[signature]
[cool]Just so ya know, Dave, Mantua Reservoir...the one lake in question...is a special project with Utah DWR. They are playing with the introduction of Kamloops rainbows...strictly catch and release...artificial lures only. That rule about no scented lures does not apply on any other waters, so the anglers in Utah can buy and use them around the rest of the state.

Utah does have some rather interesting and unusual regs though. No live bait...anywhere...except worms or crawdads. All minnows have to be dead, and no live shad, which are a mainstay of the fisheries in many other states . Also, you cannot use corn on any waters...even for carp. They have put forth all kinds of wild and whacky reasons why they will not allow corn, but it is basically a trout protection issue. Some say it pollutes the waters. Others say that trout cannot digest it. Others say that it is too easy to chum with corn. Oh yeah, you can't use any kind of chum in Utah either.

I have joked for a lot of years that there should be a sign at the Utah borders..."SET WATCHES BACK 100 YEARS". But, that being said, there is probably more good fishing for more species in Utah than in any other state I have experienced. Although, the extended drought has seriously hurt many of the best waters, and it may take years to recover, once the weather returns to "normal"...whatever that is.
[signature]