Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14' Aluminum Fishing Boat
[Smile]Hey all,

I have a 14' aluminum fishing boat. It has 2 bench seats and 1 on the front that is just under the bow. My question is:

Can I cut the top of the bench seats...1' or so, and make a hindge to make storage. I have the clamp-on seats, and they would not be affected by this because when closed, the storage would look totally normal. It is filled with foam...I may need to take some of this out....I think it is in there for stregth and not boyancy....Right? anyone else made these seats into a small storage compartment??? Pics, Ideas? I need more storage in this small boat....any ideas would be awesome!!!

Thanks, Please help,

Shawn
[signature]
You can do whatever you want with the boat. It's yours and you own it. The foam flotation is a coast-guard requirement for the original manufacturer. The foam is there more for buoyancy than strength and removing some of it probably won't effect the flotation of the boat by much when swamped, depending on the loading of the boat.

The flotation foam in boats often becomes waterlogged over many years and a lot of guys take it out, with very few replacing it. Very few boats over 20' have any flotation foam at all and they go straight to the bottom of the pond if they get swamped.

Personally, in such a small boat like yours, which has a very high likelihood of it getting swamped, I think it would be stupid to remove it. I'd sell the boat and buy a bigger boat that gives you the storage you want.
[signature]
Not certain exactly what you are intending on cutting, but be aware that the seats not only provide a place for one to sit they also provide support for the skin of the boat. Be careful that you don't destroy the structural integrity of your boat.
[signature]
I would have bought a bigger one if I could afford it. I got a great deal an have fixed this one up....poor college student. I think I may have to just leave the foam and carry less stuff. That may be the best option....did not know about the foam for after sinking boyancy tho...thanks. I dont think I will sink...but who does. I am careful and stay near chore and treat the boat like a tube and dont go way out intohuge lakes. UL is my favorite and I just use it as a reed hugger. Thanks for your advise.

Shawn M
[signature]
Thanks for the heads up Kent. The boat has alot of support, but it is old and I am sure it needs all of the support it can get. I was just thinking of all of the "wasted" space under the seats and was trying to figure out some way to get some use out of it. I am sure the foam is "dead" as the boat is so old, and I probably could take some of it out, but I think I will focus on getting some better use out of the front of the boat now. The boat is really hight in the front anyways....my battery and alot of gear is in the back...need to move some of it to the frunt to level me out.

Thanks,

Shawn M
[signature]
hey i also have a 14 foot alluminum and this was an idea i was thinking of maybe it would work for you? since i like to bass fish i was going to build a wood standing deck from the front seat up and have a trap door type thing to put all the crap in have you thought about doing that?
[signature]
A little bit...I looked at a video on youtube and he covered almost everything with plywood. Heavy boat, but he had alot of good storage. I am courious to see how your's turns out...Pics, when do you think you will do it? I may have to have a look. Great Idea only covering the front....should be great for storage. Keep me posted, It will be awesome to see

Shawn
[signature]
I also have a old 14' aluminum boat. When I replaced my bench seats I took the foam out of one of them and turned it into a storage compartment. I cut a little access door in the bench an it works great. I'm pretty sure if a boat this small sinks a small piece of foam isn't going to make that big of a difference anyways. I'm like you though...I don't really fish big lakes. I mainly fish Mantua and Porcupine. Its a great boat for these waters. Anyways hope this helps.
-Colby
[signature]