Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lead for jig heads ?
I know that everyone says not to use wheel weights as a source for casting lead, I assume that everyone is talking about the kind that clamps onto the rim of a steel wheel. What about the small square weights with the adhesive back that sticks onto aluminum wheels, is it the same, it seems to be quite soft. Has anyone tried these kind of weights,is it just the same old wheel weight lead?
[signature]
I use both type of wheel weights and the only "negative" I find with the regular weights is that you get a lot more "slag" (the crap that floats on the top of the good lead that needs to be skimmed off before you pour a jig). I've watched this discussion over the years and I can only figure if you're pouring very small (1/32oz. etc.) then the quality of lead might make a difference. For 1/4 oz. and larger I have found absolutely no difference. (Yeah, Dee's might hook you up with some lead!)
[signature]
Real good to know, thanks for posting I am getting into lead pouring too... Thanks
[signature]
i cast alot for bullets and the biggest thing that we had to worry about is hardness. the weights on the sticky block are the same as the ones on the out side. they are just attached a different way is all. as far as slag goes im not sure what your set up is but i use a dutch iron and turkey fryer to break them down. i have an old metal spoon and a metal what looks like a small fry basket on a stick to pull all the garbage out. than i take my 20 lb lee bottom pour and use a 1/2 inch dowel to stir and skim the top with a normal spoon. it works really well. just what i need another hobby lol. good luck
[signature]
Thanks for the input, and welcome to the site.
Since my original post I have experimented with some wheel weights and have found that if I sort them to make sure I don't have any zinc ones things work out well. I also came into about 80 Lbs of sheet lead, real soft stuff, I have broken down all of my lead into 1lb ingots and use a fluxing compound to clean it up. Then I will mix my soft lead with the wheel weight lead, and so far have had great results, even on my smallest jigs. I also use a spray on mold release which not only makes the jigs just fall out of the mold, but also helps them fill out nicely.
[signature]
Thanks for sharing your good results. Your R&D sure helps others that are thinking about getting into the jig making hobby.
[signature]