Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie rod question?
Ok I'm pretty much a new fisherman and I wanted to know what is a good and decient medium/fast action fishing pole? I'm looking to buy one because I already have a soft action daiwa rod which is great for small fish but I need a stronger one for pulling in those 20+ inches fish. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
[signature]
When it comes down to it, its all about how much you are willing to spend. I personally am not one to drop 250 or 300 on a casting or spinning rod (now fly rods might be a different story [Wink]). I just ordered a St. Croix Bass Mojo, moderate tip, and I'm excited to get it. It is the slower tip rod but I have been using their rods for many years and really like them I would imagine their fast tips are just as nice as any of their other rods. You can pick one of these bad boys up for around 100 bucks. Good luck
[signature]
I faver Shimanos due to the no hassle return policy when I break one. Yep the more you spend the better you'll get.
[signature]
A great rod that is easy on the wallet is a Ugly Stik. They are very stong with sensitive tips...hope thats helpful - Caronsj11
[signature]
I have two ugly sticks , both are spinning rods, I love them both. One is a light action and the other is a medium. I even troll with the Medium one and it performs extremely well. For trout fishing there the best in my opinion. I have used them for bass with good success as well though. Like carons said[#000000] they are really easy on the wallet and an all around great rod.[url "../../../cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_page;pg=user_profile_view.html;username=caronsj11"]
[/url][/#000000]
[signature]
In my humble opinion, save your money and get the best rod you can afford, even if it means waiting awhile. This is really one of those things where you get what you pay for. Ugly sticks are strong, and they are fine for trolling. However, if you are planning on doing something other than trolling or throwing out a line and waiting for something to happen, spend your money on something else.
[signature]
Well put! Take a look at powell fishing rods. They are priced nicely for what you get!
[signature]
Shimano Clarus or Compre models are tournament-worthy rods... Clarus is about $70 and the Compre is $110. Warranty is lifetime on either.

Powell Rods are a great buy at $140. I know Powell has a warranty/return policy, but I don't know what it is off the top of my head.

Ugly Stiks are fine and dandy for throwing crankbaits, but I'd go with an all-graphite rod for worms or jigs for sure. Ugly Stiks are made to be unbreakable and flexible, neither of which are necessarily desireable traits when you're trying to set the hook on a 5-pounder with a 4/0 EWG in some thick weeds.
[signature]
Hey thanks everybody for the suggestions. I'm willing to spend no more than 100 bucks. The shimano one sounds good with the no hassle warranty. I just dont like ugly sticks for some reason, they work but they don't feel good to fish with. I'll be looking in on the rods you guys mentioned. Thanks a lot everyone.
[signature]
Oh by the way I mainly fish for stripers and largemouth bass. I want something that I can throw a spook or a jig with and still do bait fishing, yet have enough power to pull in a 20+ inch striper. Any specific makes and models recommended???
[signature]