Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
float tube repair kit
I was looking at the patch kit that came with my tube and can't figure it out! Hope someone out there knows what to do with it.

there is a tube of glue and 2 patches (I'm fine up to this point) Then there is this thing that looks like a little pot pipe. It has a soft rubber "bowl" on top and plastic part on the other end that screws off. There are also 2 plastic tubes about 2" long and 1/8" in diameter.

What am I supposed to do with this besides smoke weed through it?

Al
[signature]
I think if you hit the float tubing forum, TubeDude can give you a great explanation of how the kit works. He has said in the past he uses a product called AquaSeal, no patches needed. I've used it before on my waders, and it works like a champ. I've never used it on a tube before, but TubeDude swears by it. It's only downfall is that without an accellerant it takes 24hrs to cure.
[signature]
[cool]I am truly amazed. Somebody actually reads through some of that stuff I post. Even worse...you agree with me. Gotta get some new material.

I did address the issue on your post on the float tube forum, and before I saw that it was also posted on Utah, I gave pretty much the same recommendation. Pitch the patch kit and get some Aquaseal. It is a clear, flexible patch that works on a lotta things. If nothing else, you can be a hit with the neighborhood kids by fixing their wading pools and air mattresses.

The accelerant you can buy to decrease curing time is Cotol. It is a highly volatile solvent and cleanup liquid, but makes the Aquaseal set up faster when you stir a little in with it. It is not like epoxy, where you have to have an exact one to one mix. For patching in between trips, the regular stuff works fine. If you are on a trip, and every hour on the water is important, the Cotol is a good investment.

I'm guessing you have a vinyl air bladder. The little tubes and goodies that are part of the kit are probably valve repair components. But then, again, you could always use them to snort a couple of lines of fish scent when the bite slowed down.

When (not IF) you develop an air loss problem (leak), shoot me a PM or an email and I can walk you through the process of fixing it.
[signature]