Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated Pontoon Mods + New Fish Finder
Well I like many others on the forums here have been reading and viewing many of the mods people make to their toons/tubes. I've tried a few changes out on my setup last year learning a bit here and there of what I liked and taking every opportunity to take some up close looks of peoples rigs when I was able to make it out on one of the flotillas or other such event. So after getting my new, first, fish finder for Christmas I made a couple trips out to TubeDudes for some counseling sessions. So I'm happy to say I now have this years first pass at the toon mods done and I'm eager for some soft water to give them a try out on. Here is a link to some pics:

http://www.chpc.utah.edu/~brian/Fishing/...s-Feb2010/

I must confess that I've spent a fair amount of time in my basement, that you can see is not yet finished, sitting on my toon pondering the possibilities of soft water and everywhere I think I might need to go fish this year..... Come on warmer weather!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It all turned out pretty well. Now we have to get it out on some WET water.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I can defiantly see Tubedude's influence.[Wink] It looks great.
I am struggling with some of this stuff too with my toon.
I am stuck between the idea of doing everything at once or just doing a bit at a time. I really haven't even fished in my toon as yet and want to add stuff when the need occurs. Seeing yours completed sure make me want to go for it though.[cool]
[signature]
So, if I am seeing this right, your stripping apron will be under you?
I thought a table of sorts was ness when using bait and lures, is all.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]So, if I am seeing this right, your stripping apron will be under you?
I thought a table of sorts was ness when using bait and lures, is all.[/quote]

Yes on my model the apron is below the seat and ends up extending back behind making the platform behind me. I really like it as is as it gives me space to set things on like my bait containers and other such things. I've not used my fly rod much yet on my toon so needing it for string management is something I can't say how well it does as is. As for the sushi board need for baiting hooks I've not had much need so far for something extra but all the bait I used last year was already ready for use and required no extra work. So I expect I'll need to still address this need later as I find myself wanting to cut up a perch, chub or white bass for bait. I also like the ruler that TubeDude has on his for quick measurements...
[signature]
I really like how you have mounted your transducer. I saw looking at doing that, but by using two pieces of wood. I think I might try the pvc. Was it hard to spread the end pieces?
[signature]
[quote cpierce]I really like how you have mounted your transducer. I saw looking at doing that, but by using two pieces of wood. I think I might try the pvc. Was it hard to spread the end pieces?[/quote]

Well it wasn't too hard. I simply took the 3/4 T and stuck a foot of 3/4 pipe into it to use as a handle and then cut it with the radial arm saw I have. I then used two pair of pliers to spread the T open. That proved not to be that hard. What I did find out is that the 3/4 T has a bit too much play on the diameter of tube they used for my frame. I can't use 1/2 as it is too small if I try to do this cut and pry bit. But if I take some bits of 3/4 sched 20 tube and make some "bushings" and put those in the T first I get a really nice fit. Those bushings are glued into the T prior to the cut so that when I pry the T open everything moves as one piece.

TubeDude gave me an alternative to this though that is simpler and had I not already made the mount before his suggestion I would have done it according to his suggestion. That was to take a 1/2 T and cut the top off it like you can see in these two TubeDude pics:

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...t_id=56796

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...t_id=56797

What I want you to see in these pictures is the mount he has under the finder where the T has been cut so that he can put 2 screws through it into the plate that the finder mount is on.

Now take that idea, and this is what he was suggesting to me, and cut a 1/2 T and lay that up on your frame so that the curve of the tube on the frame and the T snug up and drill a starter hole through the pvc T into the frame (only through one side of the frame) and use an appropriate metal screw to then anchor this cut T to your frame. If you look at my picture again you can see 2 good general locations I could have done this on:

http://www.chpc.utah.edu/~brian/Fishing/...sducer.JPG

I could have done this on the horizontal bar that is below the oar arch or on either of the vertical parts of the oar arch.

The last comment is one that has been said by many others that are wiser then I am... Don't make anything permanent, ie glue or other such, until you know you like it that way.... That was my biggest mistake on the changes I made last year. What is not shown in any of my pics is that the pole holders I have setup are not glued to the setup at all. That lets me adjust the angle and direction they point until I've had enough time of real use to see if there is a "one" perfect position for them.
[signature]
Most Fly Fishers don't use aprons.
Pretty nice job there, both of you. So much more you can do with a frame.
[signature]
Thanks that is another good suggestion and even simpler in execution.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have a steady procession of Utah tubers and tooners going in and out of my "tubeatorium" (garage) to get their new rides all tricked out. I have dealt with just about every configuration of frame, pockets, covers, etc. that you can imagine. Once you know a bit about PVC and the things you can do with it, you can work out an efficient setup for just about any craft.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=514396#514396"]HERE IS A LINK[/url] to a post I made last year, including some pictures, of some of the mods I helped another fellow BFTer make to his toon. You can see how I cut the PVC fittings and drilled them to create a quick and easy connection for adding the other goodies. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A lot of tooners get all twitchy about drilling holes in the frames. Understandable. But there are a lot of holes already in most frames...bigger than a few pilot holes for small screws. They will not compromise the strength of the frame.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff] I have dealt with just about every configuration of frame, pockets, covers, etc. that you can imagine. [/#0000ff]
[/quote]

Even those where the frame is pretty much non existant such as mine.[cool]
[signature]
For me, it isn't the compromise, but the warranty.
Plus most frames are steel, by drilling you are inviting rust...just my thought, but you do a killer job. Nothing a dab of silicone wouldn't help.[Wink]
[signature]