Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Crankbait Rod. Or No?
So i've been thinking very hard about whether or not I should spend my money on a new crankbait rod. I have a heavier rod and it doesn't feel right fishing with a crankbait. I'm still in highschool, so money is definately an object as far as buying a new rod goes. I'm curious as to whether buying a lighter rod would be worth the investment lol. If so, could someone recommend a reliable rod to me?
[signature]
You have a price range in mind? What size of crank baits do you usually use? How heavy is the rod you are using now? My opinion is there is always a justifiable reason for a new rod (I try to justify to the wife, anyway). But, I'm not in HS either, and I understand your options are a bit limited.
[signature]
Well for one if you are using a heavy rod for cranking that is not usually a good thing. you need a rod with a little less backbone in it for cranks. if you use a heavy rod when a fish strikes and you jerk it is likely that you will rip the lure out of the fishes mouth because the rod is already loaded up with the weight of the crank coming through the water. So with that being said go with a lighter action rod to compensate for the strike of the fish. As for what rod to go with, what are you willing to spend????
[signature]
My price range would be preferable lower than $100.00, or lower 100's. To be honest, i'm not very knowledgeable, (sorry about spelling) about rods or even reels, so I couldn't tell you accurately how heavy it is. My uncle bought me a Shakespeare Rod/Reel combo when I was younger and that's what got me started into fishing. So I really don't know. That's why I joined this forum lol. The crankbaits I usually stick with are 2" or 3". Possibly a little bigger? It just doesn't seem get very much distance on the really light cranks. With willow leaf spinners sometimes i'll put one or two little splitshot on then line to increase distance, but i'm not sure if this adversly affects catching? I just didn't want to do that with the cranks.
[signature]
Young Fellow you definitely need to get yourself a quality cranking rod. With a heavy action rod you will not be able to throw your cranks very far. I suggest you get a med action rod with a fast tip in about a 7 ft lenght. The reason is that the fast tip will help you cast your cranks farther and get them down to the proper working depth. The fast tip also gives when a fish take the bait, plus it will be easier to set the hooks and keep your fish buttoned while reeling the fish in. I suggest you shop around. If there is a Dick's Sporting Goods near you I suggest that you go and look at their new Tech Spec series rods. These rods are high quality and each is made for technique specific applications and sell for a very reasonable price, $59.99. these rods showcased at the BASS Classic and I had the opportunity to tank test them during my fishing seminars. If you do not have a Dick's nearby look them up online, you'll be glad you did.
[signature]
Alright guys, i've narrowed my search down to a single model. However, I still have just a couple questions lol.
I am looking at the 7' variation.

Firstly, I would like to ask, would yall recommend buying a pole designed for 1-6 lb line and 1/32-1/4 ounce lures. This pole is ultra light action and a fast tip. Or one designed for 4-12lb line and 1/8-1/2 ounce lures? This pole is medium action and also has a fast tip.

Secondly, are there any advantages/diSadvantages that come with one or two piece poles?
Here is the link for the rod. [url "http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_98381_100002002_100000000_100002000?cm_ven=bazaarvoice&cm_cat=RLP&cm_pla=98381&cm_ite=productname_link#prodDescription"]Browning Fishing Medallion GT Spinning Rod[/url].

Again, thanks to everyone who has posted. Yall's posts have helped a LOT
[signature]
match it with the line you are using i have a browning and it is a good pole 1 or 2 piece depends on how you transport it sometimes a one piece becomes two[fishin]
[signature]
That is definately good to know. I figured Browning would make a quality product. Oh! [:p] So obvious it hurts lol. Thanks mme!
[signature]
A lighter rod doesn't mean you can't have backbone. I like my crankbait rods to be moderately stiff in the middle and have a flexible tip. With the end of the rod being able to flex you won't rip the hooks out when a fish grabs the crankbait. One piece rods provide more sensitivity, you will be able to feel the difference between a rock and a bite, and you don't have to worry about the end of your rod flying in to the drink.
[signature]
Swamp, not sure if you have already purchased your crankin' rod yet but look at the Shimano Compre Crankin' line of rods. I had one level up, Crucial Series, and it served me well. The Compre line is just as good and you can find them on ebay for $100 or less. I also owned a St.Croix Premier glass rod. Both are great and had a soft tip with just the right amount of backbone. I think Shimano Compre come in spinning and casting rods so you have options there too. I would recommend a casting rod, but it's all preference. Good luck

HockeyMan
[signature]
if you haven't already bought it, there are some relitivley good priced rods at walmart, they may not be the highest quality but they sometimes are under 20 BUCKS!!!, i bought one as a back up but it woks just as well as 100 dollar rods
PS i now about the price limit, as i to am still in HS
[signature]