Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Positive result on Irish float tube ban in Shannon lakes
Our concerns have been noted!
The situation has now evolved into something very acceptable.
I enclose a portion of a reply received from a board CEO:
The proposal refers only to three lakes, two of the lakes are bank only fishing, and no boats of any description are allowed on them, I understand they are smaller stocked lakes. The use of floats was restricted on this basis.
The third lake is a highly managed trout lake and the number of boats permitted on the lake is restricted, thus the proposal to restrict float angling is in this context, ie that it would not make much sense to restrict boats and let anyone use floats instead. However I understand the CEO may consider a proposal to allow a float to be used instead of a boat up to a maximum level, ie for example permit 20 units (either float or boat) – however this is a matter for the CEO of this Board.
I understand that float fishing will be permitted in all other waters in the Shannon Catchment, which will allow anglers access to a significant number of high quality brown trout waters. I hope this clarifies ....

This is a sensible and fair conclusion IMO, and a good outcome.
I expect we will see a notice on the SHRFB website sometime soon.
I would like to say a very big thanks to all who took the time to make contact with the people in charge and express an opinion in favour of tubing in Ireland's lakes. You helped to bring this to a good conclusion. Your efforts are very much appreciated.
[signature]