Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice auger oil...
Just picked up a used strikemaster ice auger and it was in great shape. I stopped by walmart and found that they only carried supertech(walmart) brand of 2 cycle oil. The auger still had some of the previous owners gas and would start on the 2nd or 3 pull. I started the supertech oil in it and after about 10 holes drilled, it would take 5-10 pulls when cold to start! CRAP! It also seemed to be smokin' a little more than necessary. I stopped by the local mower shop on the way home and the salesman talked me into some "Opti-2" oil. It's a universal mix, only one ratio for all 2 strokes. I was a little nervous so i got online and read a bunch of reviews first, even found a few guys using them in augers. I thought i'd give it a shot.
Got home and dumped my old gas out and put some new gas in with "opti-2". Took 6 pulls to start and i let the auger run for about 10 minutes then shut it off. I got home tonight and it is pretty cold, ONE pull it started and died, i shut the choke of and 2nd pull it fired right up, best part is...it idles smoother and there is no visible smoke coming out! Can't wait to excercise it tomorrow and see if it runs better while cutting.
Just thought i'd post on here and let you know if you're auger is a pain to start you should try this stuff! It's also a fuel stabilizer so if you leave you auger parked for a few months it should keep your gas in great shape!
[signature]