Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to buy lure paints....?
For those making tackle, where do you buy paints? I started off just looking for a new Testor's enamel set, but you can't find that stuff anymore!

I just want to be able to re-color, or add glow to old spoons for flashers or the like, not probably going big. Bought three bottles of "official" lure paint at Sportsmans Warehouse and it was terrible. Wouldn't stick, wouldn't glow, nearly as thick as Play-doh and needed special thinner.
[signature]
I've found that Jann's Netcraft is your best source for paints. Buy the powder paint. It works very well and it's easy to use. I've been makeing fishing lures for over 15 years now and they work very well. [Smile]
[signature]
There is a jig and lure making forum. You can find it on the fishing forums index above. Tube Dude has prepared an excellent directory of suppliers on the sticky at the top of the forum.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have been making spoons, hardbaits and leadhead jigs for several decades. I have tried just about every kind of paint available. Most will work...up to a point. But some are much better than others for specific uses. There is no single paint that will work for all applications.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Enamel paints will provide a good temporary color but do not hold up well on lures. They pop off or scratch easily, especially if you do not cover them with clear epoxy. They also react to other paints and to the solvents in plastic lures. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Powder paints are easy to apply but are limited in the number of colors available. Also, you can't put them on hardbaits because you have to heat them. They also tend to crack and pop off when you ding the lures in the rocks. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I make a lot of special color patterns and use different glitters in my finishes. I have settled mostly on using the CS Components vinyl jig paints for almost all of my painting...even on hardbaits. The key is to get it properly thinned and to always finish it with a coat of clear epoxy. Anybody who uses the stuff I make will tell you that it holds up to just about any kind of abuse...rocks, trees, fishy teeth, etc. And by custom mixing the available colors I can come up with just about anything I want.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I suspect that the paints you got at Sportsmans had been on the shelf a long time (surprise). They do thicken over time and yes they do require the special thinner...and enough to restore the adhesive properties to the paints. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you would like to visit my lure making setup and get some pointers on painting...along with suggestions as to the best sources...shoot me a PM and I will give you my address and directions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If not...I get my paints from three sources...Janns, Cabelas and Barlows. Barlows is often the least expensive and has most colors in both the large and small bottles. Some sources sell only a few colors and only the larger 4 oz. bottles.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thank you all. I had missed that there was an entire forum just for lures.

And thanks for the invite, TD. I probably will eventually, it's just a matter of shaking loose a few hours. Thanks...
[signature]
If your looking for paint to do flashers and spoons you need paint and clear coat from Dick Nite. They specialize in products for spoons and such.
[signature]