Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rod advice
hey guys, I am in the market for a bigger rod and reel. Right now I use a pflueger ultra light combo, but in several places I have fished I have found this to be inadequate. I unfortunately can be pretty cheap, but I am contemplating buying an ugly stik. I also saw at k-mart a brand called roddy hunter, which seemed ideal for what I wanted (a good rod for catching bigger fish such as catfish and bass) and the price seemed really low. I also saw another brand at sports authority called Calypso and the rod was called the Mako. Are these brands any good? Has anyone had any experience with them? I will be doing alot of catfishing this summer so bait fishing will be what I'm doing for the most part, though I may be doing some trolling. I don't want to spend $40-$50 if I can get something that would be as durable but cheaper [crazy] Please let me know guys!
[signature]
Not familiar with the other brands but you can't go wrong with Ugly Sticks. One of my buddies fishes almost exlusively with them. I don't use them because I prefer cork handles but they are reliable rods.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][#002850]In my opinion, it’s pretty hard to get one rod that works for most fishing. One size just doesn’t fit all. It’s like motor cycles. Can’t use a dirt bike for street and can’t use a street bike for the dirt (well, I guess you can, but you get the point). I have over 30 rods and frequently I still find myself looking to get another rod for another application. My fishing buddy has over 50 rods and I still have to pull him away from buying another one every time we go to Cabella’s.

Even though I have had a few rods from Walmart (and may still have one in my arsenal), places like Wal-Mart, Kmart, and Target sell low-end stuff (that’s code for “junk”) that would do well enough for kids or once a year fishing.

Ugly sticks are loved and admired by many. I wouldn’t own one. Lots of guys get pretty passionate about the fact that you can bend the tip all the way down to the reel without breaking them. I’ve often times tried to figure out why that is desirable or how that is good for one’s fishig.

My advice to you is to have at least three GOOD quality rods and reels for a wide range of applications that will last for many years. Don’t get sucked in by price. Get sucked in by “the right tool for the job” and quality.

I suggest that you go to some place like Fish Tec or Angler’s Den and describe to those folks what kind of fishing you do and at least have them show you some good rods and why they are good. Once you have done that, continue your home work by visiting Sportsman’s or Cabela’s. Then you are much more prepared to know what you are buying.

I have landed some killer deals on rods but generally, you get what you pay for!

--- Coot --- [/#002850][/size][/font]
[signature]
I used to think the same thing about Ugly sticks as you. Last spring I was looking for some kokanee rods and went in to Anglers Den. I got a 7 ft ultra lite cork handled ugly stick that recommends 2-6 lbs line. I payed $30 for the rod and $40 for a reel. I run 12 lbs line on it for the kokes and don't have to worry about it breaking and it loades up good in the downrigger. So in a nut shell you can fish with a lighter rod that you typicaly would be able to. I have since bought two ultra lite Ugly stick ice fishing rods for my kids and one ultra lite Ugly stick spinning rod for myself all with cork handles. Most of what I have seen are people who have way over sized Ugly sticks that could drag in ShamuI fishing for planted trout. And I think this turns people off to them. I know that there are nicer rods out there, but for the money I don't think you can beat them.
[signature]
Very good point. Not being much of a koke fisherman, I hadn't even thought of that. But ya, being able to "load up" the way Ugly Sticks can, I guess that would definately be an exception to my rule. And good for soft mouth fish fishing.
[signature]
There's some good advice here, but what I wish to underscore is that not only do different rods serve different purposes - different fishermen can have VERY different preferences in rods - not unlike how some prefer heavy metal music, while opera floats other's boats.

I've had to buy more poles than I wish to gain my own preferences. Unfortunately, I get frustrated along my way in asking questions from what I call "fishing snobs" that believe there is their way, and then there's wrong. [Wink] I can't afford $100 for a pole and that IS the bargain price! I have two boys and a wife to outfit as well as myself, and, I've often outfished such men with a lowly Ugly Stik.

Ugly Stiks absolutely have their place, and are hard to beat for the price. You just need to know that you will sacrifice some feel for their bendability. For me, the medium ones are perfect for trolling, and the lighter for casting but can still bring in a big cat because they are so hard to break! [Smile]

I've tried other rods that are in the sub $30 category that weren't Ugly Stiks - and I've regretted every purchase... For just a few bucks more I can get one that I like. It's more economical in the long run.

My favorite "all around" pole is still my 6'6" light ugly stik, it has a cork handle and was about $40.

Now that I'm starting to speak from experience, I'm starting to prefer lighter tackle, and this year is the first that I've tried graphite rods. [Smile]

I'm tryin' "dif'ernt strokes."
[signature]
Well, it is time I came clean here. Since I posted my opinion of fishing pole qualities, I have done a fair amount of thinking about that topic. I realized that my opinion of K-mart, Wal-Mart, and the like, type poles aren’t really all that bad. It’s the reels that come with the rod/reel combos, or the $15 reels sold separately, that have given me a bad taste about their fishing gear. Those reels, in my “fish snob” opinion, are very close to junk. But, this post is not about reels. So, I have to say that for rods, [#ff0000]a very suitable rod CAN be purchased at a very reasonable price.[/#ff0000]

Also, in the vein of coming clean, I was again looking at my collection of poles, and realized, to my great embarrassment, I DO actually own an Ugly Stick!. It is a 6’6” medium-heavy spinning rod that I used a couple of times for trolling for tiger musky. I haven’t used it in several years but think I might give it a try again this year.

Don’t get me wrong here. There still aint no way I’d buy myself another Ugly Stick. The reason is because of their famous soft tips. When I attempt a set a hook, I want a good pronounced jerk on the line. The tips of Ugly Sticks are way to flimsy for my preference and bend too much. Similarly, I no longer use monofilament lines. I use exclusively braided. I don’t like the stretch of mono. When I set the hook with braided, what happens at my pole happens in concert way out there 200 feet. Mono stretches too much and Ugly Sticks flex too much for my liking.

One last thing about rods (and this is just a personal gripe of mine) … many low-end rods don’t come with those little hook keepers down near the handle. Those are something I really miss on some poles (like my Ugly Stick doesn't have one) … especially after you have gotten use to having them.

So, anyway, spend the bulk of your money on good reels and scrimp, if you must, on the poles.
[signature]
Well in my opinion the biggest factor is deciding which rod to get is which technique you use the most. If a guy just bait fishes and doesnt require a ultra sensitive rod then a Ugly Stick is just fine.

Personally a rod like that would drive me up a wall to use now but then again i dont bait fish. I probably fish more than the average Joe and my style of fishing does require a more sensitive rods so I opt for a higher quality rod WITH a lifetime warranty.

I can beat the h$#$ out of my rod and still get a new one. Tough to beat that IMO [Wink]

If you are looking for a good used/new rod for a great price PM me and I'll tell ya where to find tons of them.
[signature]
Buying a rod or reel is like buying a car you get what you pay for. Buy the best you can afford and hand down the old ones to your kids. Problem is at some point they get old enough to realize what is going on and borrow [steal] your class "A" gear.
[signature]
[font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]Hey Coot! I didn't intend to speak directly to you about being a "fish snob" if that's how you took it. I was speaking pretty general about receiving advice. As an artist by profession, I have well learned that there are sometimes as many different ways to do something as there are people (and different fish to catch)! [cool] [/size][/#000000][/font]

[font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]And so the record is clear about me also, I don't give a rip if a person IS the biggest snob in the world! If they have something to teach me, then I'm a fool if I don't listen! The most important thing is if I know WHY such a person does things they way they do - then I try it their way and adapt if needed for my personal preferences and gain views according to my own experiences. And isn't it amazing how different people's experiences can be?! [Wink] I try to have an open mind - always.

[/size][/#000000][/font][font "Arial"][#000000][size 2] I totally agree with every point you made in your last post. (I'll never buy a rod/reel combo again - because they can be so mismatched. And, I'll modestly submit that you usually do get what you pay for in a reel.)

[/size][/#000000][/font][font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]That's such a great story that you have an Ugly Stik![/size][/#000000][/font][font "Arial"][#000000][size 2] [/size][/#000000][/font][font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]As to the hook keepers, I can put those on my poles for a buck or so. So I'll put one on yours if you like, if you'd please let me know if you run across a "killer deal" on the poles you like! [/size][/#000000][/font][font "Arial"][#000000][size 2][img]../../../images/gforum/cool.gif[/img]

[/size][/#000000][/font][font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]I'm well on my way to the journey of owning 50 poles to figure out which 3 I prefer... [cool]

[/size][/#000000][/font]
[signature]
He Frenchman, you don't think I'm a "fish snob"? Dang, I was just starting to get a big head but now my ego is rapidly deflating.[:p]

As for good deals on rods and reels, you asked at exactly the right time. Cabela's is having a door buster sale on their Gold Label spin combos. They are normaly $70 and go on sale tomorrow morning for just $30! I have one that I use for wipers at Willard and love it. Wish I had $30 to get me another one.

[Image: s7_124124_renderset_01?%24main-Small%24]

Another one that is going on sale tomorrow is their Fish Eagle Clasic Spin combo. Normally $40 ... on sale tommorow for $20.

[Image: s7_1225727_imageset_01?%24main-Small%24]

I have one of each of them and really like them both. Both come with hook keepers and either one of them are well worth the money.

So Frenchman [:p], I'd like to take you up on that hook keeper install on my Ugly Stick some day. What do you say?
[signature]
Those look like some good deals. It's too bad that Cabella's is such a long drive. heck it would cost me $30 in gas to pick up a $20 pole. They really need a Bass Pro Shop or it's likings (Gander mtn, etc.) in the northern part of the valley. It's too bad Sportsmans is our only choice. I realize some of you will say there is Anglers Den but whew I priced some fish houses with them and I'm not sure what market they were trying to attract. I bought my Eskimo from Sportsman's two weeks prior to checking out Anglers Den. I paid $169. Anglers Den had some rickety model "they say on sale for $230 and the one similiar but not even comparable for a whopping deal of $300. They might want to get out and do some market surveys.
[signature]