Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring tune up ???
I have a 83' sears game fisher 9.9 hp 2 cycle out board, not sure how long the shaft is. this is the first spring I will have had the motor. It was running in late fall when I got it but it never hit water besides the "test bucket" i used.

what needs to be done to a small outboard motor to "wake it up" for spring?

I will change the spark plug and all that, fresh gasoline mixed 50:1 with TCW3 oil. what else?? is there really anything else??? i do NOT have a manual for it, and dont really want one I am sure this thing will fall under the basic prep rules for a small kicker motor.

If it matters i will be running my 14 foot aluminum dream on it.

thanks in advance for the help gentlemen/ladies.
[signature]
Changing the oil in the foot would be a good idea, especially if it has never been changed. If you changed it before winter, you should be OK.
[signature]
Those old 2 stroke motors require VERY little. Oil in the lower unit is a good idea. Other than that, start it up and see how it runs. Run it at different speeds and make sure it runs well at a slower speed. Otherwise you may want to tinker with the mixture a bit. Make sure you completely run the gas out each time you put it up, and maybe mix a bit of stabilizer into the fuel each time. This will help prevent the varnish in the carb.
[signature]