Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake Walleye fishing?
When do you guys start hitting Utah lake for the Walleye. That is one fish that I have never caught and would like to give it a try this year.

If you don't mind, what technique do you use, jigs, trolling, bait....

What would a decent area be to start. Lincoln beach or Sandy beach are the only areas that I have ever seen people fishing for them from the shore. Are there any other areas that one could try?
[signature]
hate to rain on your parade. but i hear even the "veterans" who know how and where to catch walleye from utah lake areent catching them anymore. i think the carp hace just taking over the lake, its thiers lol. best bet i think for walleye is starvation. i went with my friend we caught a bunch of perch and one nice walleye using bottom bouncers with crawler from his boat. any thing else you wanna know give me a shout

John
[signature]
That is not what he asked. He asked,"When do you guys start hitting Utah lake for the Walleye."

The time is right now. Walleye Bob just opened up the Lincoln Beach launch ramp and in the days ahead there will be lots of walleye caught by lots of fishermen, contrary to what anyone tells you, there is plenty of walleye left in Utah Lake, but unfortunately not in Yuba.

Tubedude has written an excellent work on fishing walleye on Utah Lake. Perhaps if you send him an email or a PM, he will share it with you. His write up will teach you everything that you need to know. It is the culmination of several decades of fishing the big lake.

If you elect to try walleye fishing on UL and your not successful at first, don't give up. If you stick with it you'll find the fish and master the techniques.
[signature]

as soon as the ice is off. lincoln beach can be good but be prepared to loose a few jigs, them rocks like jigs.
you can also fish in and around the marinas, provo, lindon and A.F. the bubble up was good, I haven't fished it for a while. try either 1\8 or 1\4 oz. lead heads with 3in. and 4in. twister tails. reel them slow just above bottom and hitting the bottom quite a bit. hope this helps later
chuck
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yes, Utah Lake has a HUGE walleye population. But, it also has a lot of forage for them right now. If the walleye are getting plenty of natural food to eat they are more difficult to entice with a bit of plastic or hardware. The good news is that they WILL hit artificials just fine...especially if you "sweeten" your jigs and spinners with crawler or fish flesh.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]RIGHT NOW is one of the best times to hit Utah Lake if you can find the fish. The water temps are just over 40 degrees, which sends the fish into a "prespawn" feeding mode. They instinctively know that in a week or two the water will be up over the 45 degree mark and then they will have to start "dating". No time or inclination to dine then. That early feeding session may only last a few days...or it may stretch out for two or three weeks...depending upon weather patterns.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As anybody who has ever fished walleyes will agree FINDING THE FISH IS NO GUARANTEE that you can catch them. Walleyes are notorious for being moody and non-biters. But, if you can time your fishing to a feeding schedule (theirs, not yours) you can catch a bunch in a short period of time. That will keep you coming back for many fishless trips in the future.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]YOU CAIN'T KETCH 'EM WHERE THEY AIN'T. That is true of all species. But, with walleye it is even more so. Right now, if you can find schools of small white bass (food) you will usually find walleyes in the same area. And, if they are there for the groceries they can sometimes be persuaded to munch something from your tackle box. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It really helps to know the lake and where the warm springs, tributaries and rocky structure areas are. If you are a wallie newbie, just watch for the crowds of locals and regulars. Many of them have fished the walleyes successfully for many years. And most of them are pretty tight lipped about it. Don't look for them to post on BFT. Also, don't just crowd in and start casting. You may become cut bait.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Personally, I am just as impatient as everybody else and I gotta get in my prerequisite early casts...even when the fish have not come in or they are involved in "family planning". But I don't really get passionate until after about the first of May, during the post spawn period. That's when all of the empty bellied fish start munching down on anything and everything that looks like food. That's when the tanglers and rookies fishing for catfish or white bass catch a bunch of wallies by accident...and then hold forth about how they are now experts on walleye. But, hey, if you catch one, you ARE an expert...even if it was an accident.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The GOOD news? There are walleye all around that stinkin' lake. The BAD news? They are tough to catch almost anywhere. There are a very few longtime walleye anglers who catch them on most trips. But, anybody who claims to catch them every time out will lie about other things too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Best spots for the next few weeks?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. Around the dikes and rip rap of any of the developed harbors. Cast parallel to the rocks with plastics, small cranks and spinners. Fish during low light periods...early and late in the day.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. In the main lake around tributary inlets. Walleye will often move in close to the spawning streams before actually running upcurrent to spawn.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3. Around naturally rocky shorelines or over underwater rock shelves. Lincoln Beach has traditionally been a great early season walleye spot but much of the prime areas are now off limits to anglers...NO TRESPASSING.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]4. Along rocky or brushy shorelines, with gravel and brush. The Knolls and both sides of Goshen Bay can produce good fishing and are not nearly as heavily fished.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Note: Walleyes prefer to spawn in flowing water, such as the Provo River. But, they will also spawn over wave washed rocky shoreline. In short, they are "free spawners" that do not build nests. The female just swims near the top and dumps her eggs...usually with several "amorous" small males by her side, doing their part to insure that the eggs are fertilized. If you are fishing a shoreline and see these commotions you will know that you are at least in a walleye zone. But, you are likely to not catch more than a few small rowdy males. The big females don't hit well when spawning. That doesn't stop the snaggers though, who deliberately target the vulnerable ladies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That's about as much as I know...or don't know. I'll be out there with everybody else. If I catch walleyes I am an expert. If not, I have plenty of excuses all practiced.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The ONE GUARANTEE: You will never catch them unless you go fishing for them. You can't win if you don't play.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
You are the man, tubedude. A wealth of good accurate info, as always. I hope to see you on the water soon.
A paradox observed. Even though a lot of people say that experienced walleye anglers are tight lipped, I find that many of the best walleye fishermen in the state regularily post here; tubedude, walleye bob, chuck, FOD and several others.

Anyway you cut it...If you want to know and perhaps learn about walleye fishing in many waters of the state, just keep watching this site. There's a wealth of information here from guys that know what they are talking about and don't mind sharing. Good luck to all! Like Walleye Bob says: "It has begun!"
[signature]
Thanks guys, that is some great information, sounds like I need to go fishing.
[signature]
"A paradox observed. Even though a lot of people say that experienced walleye anglers are tight lipped, I find that many of the best walleye fishermen in the state regularily post here;"

[cool][#0000ff]I know of several dedicated walleye anglers that have devoted years to pursuing those wascally wallies and harvest a grundle of them every year, even when most of us other "experts" ain't doin' so pretty good. And, most of these guys ARE tight lipped and/or not likely to ever put up a post on a public forum.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Long time Utah Lake anglers are well aware that there are cultural and ethnic groups that are very serious about their walleye fishing and are "subsistence" fishermen. They not only fish for sport but also keep just about everything they catch. It is not in their best interests to share hard-earned knowledge with more casual anglers who will only crowd them out of their favorite spots or catch fish that they want or need for food.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are also a few "GOBs" (good ol' boys) that have fished for these "pike" since they were first put in Utah Lake about 50 years ago. And there are also some younger goobers that have only fished them for a couple of decades but definitely know how to harvest them. A high percentage of these boys are virtuosos at using their walleye tackle, but know nothing about using a computer. They ain't gonna post no dadburned reeports.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yeah, there are a few "normal" anglers who have accumulated a fair amount of knowledge about walleyes and who catch enough to maintain some credibility. But what separates guys like me from the REAL experts is the dedication and commitment. I let lousy weather forecasts discourage me from making the trip to the lake. The REAL walleye guys love lousy weather because it brings in the fish. They stand out there in the breaking surf, slinging cast after cast, and they often make some of their best catches while the rest of us are kickin' back in our recliners watchin' some lousy TV program...and not worrying about hypothermia. In short, they do what needs to be done to catch the fish. They just don't talk about it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
You are absolutely correct. Regardless of that, I still maintain there is plenty of information from the likes of yourself and others who contribute to this board to get a "Novice" walleye started. Generally the info posted here is up to date and if one reads between the lines there is a lot of information to be garnered. Thanks again for all of the thoughtful information you provide.

The information you sent me last year will help me in my search for walleye and I expect to have a good year.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it now," Thanks for everything you do."
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I appreciate your appreciation. And soft fuzzy strokes back atcha. You are also guilty of actually posting useful and helpful information on these boards. But, to me, that is what it is all about. Help when you can and never be afraid to post a question if you have one. The only stupid question is one that you don't ask...and it costs you needless time and money to learn the answers on your own.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, that writeup I did on walleyes is being revised and updated...and adding a lot of purty pitchers. I am bogged down in several "projects" right now but I hope to have it available before the post spawn session...to registered BFTers only.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]To all of you walleye chasers out there who have special tactics and techniques you wouldn't mind sharing, you can PM me and I will be happy to include your contributions and give you proper credit. This will never be a "for sale" thing...just a way to compile as much good info as possible for the newbies that ask similar questions every year. Hey, we were all there once ourselves.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now, let's all go fishing and find out what all the fuss is about.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hopefully one day I will be able to contribute to the Utah walleye-catching club but in my day I have caught a many of Waldos. Tube dude is correct in that they can be very finicky. I have been in situations where the fish would hit like wild fire and then a small front would roll through and it was like someone slammed on the fishing breaks. Also I have fished areas where bait was everything, for instance in the fall right before ice up in North Dakota the only things the Waldos would eat were live frogs, nothing else. The bigger the better. When tube dude mentions cold weather. Imagine a nice 30 or 40 mph NW gust on into evening in October, 30 miles from Canada. BRRRRRRR!!! Then I've been places where they would only eat leeches. But like fishing anywhere or any species you must get out and get after them. There were a many time I got the old skunkarroony but then there are those when the monsters took hold. I am attaching an old photo of my monster the picture is not very good and all I have is it and some fond memories but I thought I would share. The biggest is 30" and 12 lbs. It is deceiving with the others but the other 4 were all over 20". The ruler doesn't lie!
[signature]