Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Pimpin' With PVC
[cool][#0000ff]As I mentioned in a previous discussion of pimpin' tubes and toons, I get a lot of Utah BFTers visiting my tubeatorium for ideas, help or complete makeovers on their rides. Always happy to help and it challenges my creativity to come up with workeable solutions on some of them. Seems like every craft is a bit different and the ideas or needs of each angler can vary too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I regret that a lot of the stuff I have put together in the past is not preserved for posterity with pictures. But, with several of the most recent mods I did bring the digital out to the garage and record some of the new ideas. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The first pic is of a modular strap-on single tube utility rod holder...for easy on and off when you don't want to do the drill and screw routine. This one was for an Outcast Fish Cat, with very little room on the nose for adding on. It was made by pre attaching the 2 pieces of 2' of stretch cord to each of the 4 corner connectors and then assembling the base. The holes drilled into the connectors are about 3/8" and then the ends are knotted to prevent pulling through. Neat and clean. No clips. It is a good idea to fit the holder on the tube before airing it up to complete inflation. Easier to put it on and position it. Once in place it holds firmly by friction.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The next set of three pics is the same concept, for adding sonar to a craft without permanently attaching it. There is no attachment in the pics, but you could use either bungee cords or nylon strapping to secure it to the tube or toon. Of course, with a toon it would be easy to make short strap connections...or even zip ties...directly to the frame.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The next pic is of the sonar display mount for Albinotrout's toon. To avoid drilling into the frame, he used a clamp on base...available from plumbing and electrical supplies...and started the PVC part with a threaded nipple. The rest is just standard 1/2" PVC elbows...connected to a cut-off T base on the bottom of the display mount. If you do not glue or screw the joints, this mount will allow a full range of mobility and adjustments to view the display from any height or angle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The last set of pics is the Rivendell toon that belongs to Weekend Warrior...also known as Nortah on other boards. There are a couple of new concepts in that installation that I thought might have some appeal to other tooners. The basic idea is to use PVC base connectors and then to be able to snap the rod holders and net holders on and off as needed. Easier to transport and simple to set up and take down. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The pics are labeled and pretty much self explanatory. But, if anybody needs more info or pictures I have others that I have not posted here.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'm liking the Fly rod holder portion. Think I will ad that to my third rod holder thingy.[cool] I'm glad I haven't glued my stuff up yet. I think I will fish it a time or two first.
I have drawn guidance and motivation from your many Pimp'n with PVC instructionals.
I think I speak for many of us BFT'ers, Thanks for all the help TD.[fishin]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad to be able to help. After working with PVC as my material of choice for various pimpin' projects over the years, I have gotten a pretty good feel for the things I can do with it. I wish somebody would have shown me how to do some of these things a lot of years ago. Would have saved me a lot of false starts and a fortune in discarded PVC parts. That is a good argument for not gluing things together until you are sure they will do what you want and how you want it. But, you should at least secure them with a 1/2" screw to avoid separation at inappropriate times. I have almost lost rods by not securing things together well enough on a trial run.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I plan on finishing up what we started with the FF on wednesday in the garage. I finally got the toon repaired so can inflate now to set up the transducer. I will post pics of it when finished.
[signature]
As ALWAYS great job TD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![Smile]
Love your work.

Peter
[signature]
TD... thanks a lot for the tips and pictures. The 565 mounts will be VERY helpful!!!! [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
Hay tubedude i have enjoyed your pvc pimpin and your posts in the short time I have been on BFT. I have not used my toon in a year or two but you and all the other tooners have got me excited to get it back out . I have got a trout unlimited colorado toon and a humming bird 110 fishing buddy. Got any ideas on a good way to mount the fish finder?

Thanks
Jim[fishin]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have worked on several of the Colorados. They have good sturdy frames that you can use for attaching all kinds of goodies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Your 110 comes with a clamp, but you need to run some kind of extension out a ways so that you can get the transducer pointed straight down. A hose clamp and a piece of half inch PVC or piece of wood will make a suitable extension. You just have to decide where you want to mount it for best viewability and where it is out of the way.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Happy to help when I can.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now go fishing and post some reports.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the advice . I will see what I can come up with.

Jim[fishin]
[signature]