Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pre-spawn slow in other states? AR
Hi everyone.

Last year at this time I was catching 8 to 12lb hawgs looking for their beds in pre-spawn but this year its not happening.

Other southern states having super late spawn like we are here? I was even catching a few a week earlier than this but even at my "honey hole" pond they are staying deep. The only bass I'm catching right now is on drop shot and sometimes keeping it in place for over a minute to entice the strike.

This is very unusual since we are having 60 degree days that last week.

any thoughts?
[signature]
We here in the NE go through this every year. Depends on how cold the winter was and you boys had a rough one for you down south. Some years they bed in late may on the full moon or if it's cold to them it's the new moon. Tough to plan a vacation around it. So if you have bass ready to bed in a few weeks your lucky.
[signature]
It being an El Nino year probably has lots to do with it.. southern states in these years experience winters with temperatures 15 degrees colder than average. Last one was in 2005 I believe..
[signature]
All lakes with in a 3-4 hour driving distance from me are still frozen. It's going to be a while for our spawn to hit.
[signature]
i don't know about in the south but up here in RI the bass are unseasonable active, even though it is still less than you are catching

good luck
[signature]
Water up here is warming up real fast this year. I'll be out Friday or saturday for sure. Got a report that the temp is at the magic 60. [cool] If I can find a ramp thats not flooded out.[Wink]
[signature]
how can i check the temp at my local pond, because they are relatively small and it is set up so one drains into the other and then out into the woods and it looked like most of the water got changed after the flooding.

thanks and good luck , hopefully its 60
[signature]
Just put a thermometer in the water early in the day and it will be close enough. Water will warm up quicker near rocks or stump areas. Fish those first. Bass seem to put the feed bag on around the 60-68 mark.
[signature]
ya that seems about right, i was in a shallow part flipping a jig and had to reel it quickly to get it though some mates of stuff on the surface and a 3lb bass went crazy, eventually hooked it bet threw the hook 6 inches from shore, looks like it hit that magic temp
good luck
[signature]
Sounds like the buzzbait bite is on. [Smile] Can't get out this weekend, will try during the week.
[signature]
just thought i would tel you that i found out it was already guarding an nest and was finally able to catch it.... took 3 hours
[signature]