Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turkey calls
My daughter who I thought was excited to go deer hunting in a couple years can't wait to shoot a turkey. You have no idea how happy that makes me. Unfortunately, I don't have the first clue about turkeys. I see them all the time when I'm deer hunting and in the fall I could narrow down where they are but in the spring I have no idea. So I have a couple questions.
Where I see them in the fall may have snow in May, how far do they travel? Should I start in the lowlands and work up into the mountains, seems like a good idea right?
What size bb is the general use for a 3" 12 gauge? The proc. says bb-6 but I'm not a bird hunter and rarely use a shotgun.
Any camo suggestions would be nice also....in fact, just tell me anything I might need to know about turkeys [crazy].
[signature]
A great hunt to start a young'un on. Y'all will have a ball. Turkeys don't usually travel very far here BUT snow can move them to lower/clearer elevations. They will follow the green line (grass) back up the mountain in the spring til they return to their favored area.. I have found the box type calls easiest to learn (for me). Lots of CDs/DVDs to use for insruction. My favorite has been a tape by ??John Higby?? who also has a book - ??Hunting Western Turkeys?? If your daughter is young or fidgety you will want to consider a portable blind. Hope this helps. PM if I can be of help.
[signature]
There are lots of opinions on the best type of load. I would suggest something like 4 shot. This will give you a pellet that is going to penetrate well and still have enough pellets for a good pattern. Most people use a tight choke. Something like a full or even a special turkey choke to get a tight pattern
As far as the movement of the birds. They can move clear to the top of the mountain during summer and early fall. In the spring they should be fairly low where the vegetation has greened up. Remember that turkeys need some tall trees to roost in. That might be a good place to start scouting for them. Good luck to you. gshorthair
[signature]