Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
making furled leaders
[font "Times New Roman"]Where can I get 1lb test? [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]I am learning to make my own furled leaders (which I cant wait to get on the water) but I can only find 2lb at best. I like the way the leader turns over when I cast (in the yard that is) but the end that the tip it would attach to is 6 strands thick (that’s 12lb breaking point not that I needed to say that). That seems a little on the heavy side to attach my tip it to. No? I was thinking if I could get a hold of some 1lb then I could get it down to the 6 lb range. I figured that would transfer to a thin (2# to 4#) tip it better [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]peace [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]jim [/font]
[signature]
You won't that I know of. Have you tried with fly tying thread? Very cool and supple.
I am pming you on an alternative, but I like to keep it down low as I sell these things.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]Uni-Thread 6/0 breaks at an 8 lb pull. I tested them several times to come up with that figure. Try using a 14/0 thread which will bring the weight down quite a bit. Just had to ask why a 1lb test leader? Don't you tie on a length of tippet to your leader?[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I do plan on fishing it with a tippet but like I was saying the fewest loops I can figure on the end of the leader is 6 and at 2lb test that leaves me with the equivalent of 12lb at he tippet end. That, to me, seems very thick to tie a 2 -4 lb tippet to … no? It may very well be that I am misunderstanding some part of this or just lack the experience to know better. I was thinking that with one lb test that would leave the tippet end in the 6lb range. That, I was figuring, would be a more appropriate taper to attach a 2-4 lb tippet to. I only just started fly fishing the end of last year so I still have a great deal to learn but as I go I am cobbling together the bits of information that I have learned and trying to build upon them. I don’t know any one that fly fishing so this forum and the web (and the books) are really I have to go on. Other than that I am pushing forward trial and error style ( although I must admit I am pleased with the progress I am making ) [Image: happy.gif]

thanks to all for the help

peace
jim
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]I'll use a furled leader made of Uni-Thread 8/0 and attach 4' of 2 lb test tippet. Works quite nicely with my 2 wt rod. BTW I make most of my leaders 5'. On small stream/creeks very little of my fly line is hitting the water.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]