Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiger Trount in the Unitas
Can anyone tell if this is true or not
Trent
[signature]
There have been several rumors that there are Tiger trout in the Unitas but I've never heard of anyone that can confirm it, just a few people that say someone they know has caught them. WH2
[signature]
The answer is I'm not sure. Here is what I know. The DNR started stocking Tigers to replace Rainbows in lakes with native Cutthroat populations. The Rainbows, were breeding and competeing with the natives for food. By stocking sterile Tigers the population could be more easily controlled and still allow a "take" fishery. Both Huntington and Birch Creek Res. were the first ones to be stocked. That was about three or four years ago. Try e-mailing Tom Pettingil @ the DNR. He'd know for sure.
[signature]
I've herd of people catching tiger trout in the uintas too but I think they catch a brookie and see the squiggly markings on the back of the brook trout and think its a tiger trout but thats just what I think.
[signature]
last week some lady was trying to pass of a brookie for a brown. I couldn't help but laugh. Heck look at Strawberry most people that get tickets can't tell the difference between a rainbow and cutthroat. Even the cross breeds are easy to recognize.

Sounds like another fish story even if they are there.
[signature]
Ive been to several lakes this year and have not seen any tiger's. Many albino and Brook trout and rainbows.

Landed a 22 inch albino, didnt fight at all, was like a dead log.

Tyler
[signature]