Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shakespeare Ugly Braid any good?
I just bought some of this line at Walmart because it was on sale for $5.00 a spool for 125yd. It's braided and strong as hell so I bought:

10lb (equivalent diameter to 3lb mono) for my panfish reel

20lb (equivalent diameter to 6lb mono) for my bass reel

and 30lb (equivalent diameter to 10lb mono) for cat fishing reel.

It's really super tough, I could not break it no matter what I tried to do, even the 10lb test.

I was wondering if anyone has actually fished this line and how it performs. I KNOW it's tough but I'm wondering about casting and backlashes etc.

thanks.
[signature]
I've used many different brand of braids and found them all to be strong. It is the type of knot you tie that will give you problems with braid .The knot i primarily use is the polomar. Don't use a clinch knot. I've had failure with this knot on all braids.
[signature]
I got to use these new lines today and all I can say is WOW!

I will never use any other than braid again. The bass fishing was awesome with that small line diameter and I could cast almost 50% farther with much more ease and control over placement. The line is almost invisible in the water also. That's the only thing that bothered me while bass fishing because I like to know where my line is and I had to strain to see it in the water or air.

This line will very hard to backlash, it flows from my bait casting reels so easily...

It's like fishing with "silk" fishing line.

I wish I had tried braided line sooner.
[signature]
glad you like the braid.don't know what color you have, but some of mine have faded, and my fireline went from a dark brown to white. i lived in marked tree until i was 5, my parents grew up there.
[signature]
go to crankbaitcentral.com, click on crankbait abc's. scroll down to line,and click on. lot's of good info here.
[signature]
I'd have to say some times it works and some times it is just horible! I now use a braid called samuri.
[signature]