Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
22lb Catfish
Had an interesting day at the sevier river today. Went looking for Bass but ended up fishing for Cats. I wish I could say I caught that 22 pounder but we found it dead on the river bank. It had a collection of hooks in its mouth.
[signature]
Holy crap! Why would somebody just leave that fish on the bank? You gotta fry that bad boy up, or at least put him back so some one else can have the pleasure of reeling him in. Such a waste...
[signature]
I think its dead. It looks like it gave up the ghost . a few days ago.
[signature]
I thought the same thing. I'm wondering how it died though. During our stay we had another big cat just all of the sudden float to the top of the water right in front of us. It was about 6lbs.
[signature]
Interesting! How did you do besides the discovery of death?
[signature]
Yes, it had been dead atleast a few days. The smell was horrible.
[signature]
Not so good. We caught one carp and another little 8" cat. I've had terrible luck lately. Especially on the Sevier.
[signature]
looks like bait to be used to catch another big kitty.
[signature]
It probably died of old age, got ripe, floated to the surface and got blown ashore. I found a dead flat head catfish once that was 3 times the size of this one and it was also stuck on shore. No one gives up a big fish like that voluntarily.... unless it's a carp. I suppose now I should apologize to Goddess before she sicks a size 14 pheasant tail in my nose and leaves me on the bank..
[signature]
You should be fishing Walleye right there. I've caught some nice ones standing right behind where you are holding that kitty. That hole is deep.
[signature]
I tried everything that day. Spinners, white tube jigs, hooks tipped with carp meat, worms, etc...

I didn't catch a thing that day. My buddies pulled out a couple catfish and a carp. I'll have to try it again later in the summer.
[signature]
Try a green double tail mister twister on the west side of the current. 1/4 OZ 1/0 jig. A couple big Pike lived in there two years ago. Not sure, but I never heard of anyone taking them out. My cousin from Delta fish's there fairly often.
[signature]
You said it had a collection of hooks in its mouth. Well, a while back they had a very large blue catfish kept in an aquarium somewhere in the South. It died mysteriously one day. Autopsy revealed that it had developed an unseen infection in its jaw bone from a hookset years before. It got bad enough that it prevented the fish from breathing properly so it died.

Probably died of old age, but could have been from too many hooks.
[signature]
Thanks for the advise. I'll probably give it another shot in a week or two.
[signature]
Where were u fishing on the sevier river if yo
u don't mind me asking?
[signature]