Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake. IT HAS BEGUN!
It has been a long week since walleyebob broke the ice from the launch ramp at Lincoln beach.

Daily I would head out on the lake searching for spawning walleye at numerous locations using a myriad of lures and techniques. It was all for naught.

A week ago the water temps were hoovering around 37 - 39 degrees. Day by day the increases in the water temps promised better fishing. Tomorrow...Always tomorrow. And yesterday tomorrow finally came.

After launching at Lincoln beach I scanned the fish finder for depth and temp. It stablized at 42 degrees and I remarked to Dan Ericksen, "Today is the day. The males will be in the shallows and the bite will be on!"

Utwalleye and walleyebob's trucks and trailers were in the parking lot and I started the day with a search for them. If the fish were truly biting those two would be anchored over the fish. No sense re-inventing the wheel...Follow the masters, these two have walleye fishing down to an art form.

Bob was at the orchards along with a half dozen boats and waders, but about the time we arrived he pulled out and headed down the lake. "Chuck or someone else must be into the fish wherever Bob is heading" I thought.

The "L " at lincoln beach is a major spawning location on Utah Lake due to its rocky bottom. Historically, it has been a major producer of walleye who venture onto the rocky shore to spawn. It is shallow for a long way and anglers with waders wander far out in search of fish. Float tubes are a productive method of exploring this area, giving the fisherman more mobility.

Then of course there are the boats. Fishing out of a boat can be warmer and dryer than wading but it is not necessarily an advantage as most are limited to getting into the shallow water the fish prefer. You use what you have and make the best of it.

When we reached Utwalleye and walleye bob's boats they had two or three male walleye on ice and the day looked promising.

After two or three hours we had to get off the lake. During that time we saw 8 or 9 walley caught. All were small males, as would be expected this early in the season.These precoucios males move onto the spawning beds and await the bigger females to join them for the timeless act of reproduction.

So, finally it has begun. For the weeks ahead trips to Utah lake will serve as a cure for cabin fever. Anglers will await the ice off of their favorite waters and enjoy the tasty walleye as a bonus. And as for my day yesterday?.......I didn't have a bite, but it doesn't matter. The fish are biting and I'll stay after them until I start catching them. Dust off your rods and get after 'em!
[signature]
Nice to see fish are being caught. nice report.
[signature]
i knew it was going to be on. should have just let the wife be mad about me going.[:/] owell glad you got into them chuck. got the boat ready so im on it sunday...
[signature]
Thanks for the update, that looks like a lot of fun and maybe now is the time to break my UL curse. Is the "L" on the north side of Lincoln beach? With my schedule I think I will try and get out there this afternoon around 5. I hope the eyes will be hungry for dinner around then.
take your waiders... and yes you can.[fishin]
[signature]

that was a good trip, very little wind and the eyes are on.
It was good to meet you Steve and Dan, hopefully we'll see you out there again soon. nice pic's. lol later chuck
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I can't wait to put some walleyes in the fryer. It will be a pleasant change from the 300 or so crappie fillets in the freezer.
[signature]
I was at the lake this morning, but not where the walleye were. It's good to see that the walleye are starting to play. I know the area where the action was, but I was in my pontoon and couldn't row there. I couldn't carry the pontoon from the shore there either. I will need to go down again prepared to fish that "walleye territory".

It was good to see that Chuck had some luck this time!
[signature]
300 or so Crappie fillets???[:/][:/] Sounds like 260 more fillets than your legally allowed to possess within your limit here in Utah [shocked][shocked][shocked] Might want to edit your post before your pad gets raided by the DWR there is more than 1 fishcop on this site ....
[signature]
nice fish. Soon, they will come. I mean the crowds.
[signature]
[cool]Last I checked, the crappie limit is 50, so he was 250 over the limit, right?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Your math is as bad as your fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]50 crappies equals 100 fillets.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
not to stir the pot, but doesent 300 fillets = 150 crappie?
[signature]
300 fillets= Tear gas, mug shoot and a night in the big house.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No pot stirring. I was just commenting on Geoff's math. 300 fillets is definitely 150 fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No doubt about it. Bragging about having 3 times the MAXIMUM crappie limit in one's freezer is inviting a visit from a CO. If unable to prove the origin of the fillets, the violator could even be charged with much higher over limits. There are some waters with very low limits on crappies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not sure if you were around a few years ago when a BFT member posted about catching a bunch of minnows and having some alive in an aquarium. You guessed it. He got a visit and a ticket.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I beleave some people that fished willow pond in murray. a few years back had quit a few fish over there limit wasting away in the freezer. it even made the news. "What a waste" I have an idea just let some go". nobody will get mad at you. take a picture put fish back in water and watch it swim away.
[signature]
I have never caught or eaten a walleye. You guy make them sound like they are good eaten. I am mostly a let em go person. Probably because I do not know how to fillet a fish.
[signature]
Boy I messed up alot of fish figuring out how how fillet fish. Welcome to the board
[signature]
Doesn't "Possession Limit" only apply to being in the field?

I wouldn't give the guy a hard time, because he is clearly trying to preserve the fish he has so he can use them and not waste them; which, waste, is breaking the law. There is no law that says how many fillets or frozen fish you can have in your freezer.
[signature]
it's called a possession limit. usually 2 days worth of a daily bag limit. hopefully he meant over the course of the winter all he has had is 300 crappie fillets to eat, not stored.
[signature]