Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a few questions about the berry
so as soon as ice is off at the berry i would like to go fishing up there... but i have a few questions, like when in your opinion is the ice going to come off? i am hopeing it will come off in april or sooner lol. i like to go up there and rent a boat and troll some lucky crafts and rapalas but after i saw some youtube vids i think i may want to try casting tubes, it seems like a white one works well, and a green/ watermelon also works. i know they work well in the fall... but do they work in the spring? also what size of tube should i use? i have never fished tubes before but they seem like they would be a lot of fun. are there any other colors that would work well??? i sure could use any tips and tricks you have [Smile]
[signature]
when ice off hits, ill be hugging the shore in my boat, i would prefer to be in a tube or toon
[signature]
Brad
my first trips to strawberry were filled with futility, lets save you some trouble. my buddy showed me how to fish up there with great success. all he ever uses is a white tube jig with a skirt, tipped with half a minnow. we dont troll them just cast them out, and let them float back toward the boat in 40 ft of water or so. we ussaly go in the summer, so i cant be sure if its money early in the season. i do know i went up there before using powerbait, trolling with pop gear, worms. nothing has had as much success as the deadly white tube jig! if ya like PM and ill send you my number so i can send you a pick of exactly what it looks like. Hope this helps, good luck
John
[signature]
thanks for the reply guys [Smile] john i sent you my number [Smile]
[signature]
Ice off is still a ways out at the Berry. The last 6 years have been anywhere from the beginning of April to the end of May for ice off....so your guess is as good as anyone's.

Streamer patterns fished on an intermediate sinking line close to the shore lines will work well at ice off.
[signature]