Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to Salmon in the morning 3/22
Anyone have a report on the weekend steelheading? I'm outta here in the morning and could use updated info on what section of river to use or what they seem to prefer as far as bait or lure. If you want to PM me that would be great too. I'll post a report upon my return Tuesday evening.
[signature]
We fished Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and the most action was in the narrows. Best bait for us was with 8 mm dark roe trout beads. We also fished below Owl creek and above Spring creek. We picked up a few fish down below but the fast action was in the narrows.

Just find an opening around the crowds and work into the better spots as people leave. Or if you already know the prime spots get there early and they may be open.

SteelFisher
[signature]
Thursday afternoon and Friday lots of fish being caught at the Island Park Bridge in Salmon, mainly early morning... Ran home Friday night then Saturday night went to Ellis to see what was going on, caught 4 in 3 hours, went back Sunday lots less people and lots less fish, hooked 2 but didnt get any landed. Saw a few come out though.
[signature]
so where exactly are the narrrows, from owl creek.
I am headed up there this weekend and have only fished down near ebenezer, is there still fish moving through there or should i go up river more???
any info is appreciated
thanks
[signature]
The narrows is the dutch oven, X hole, Leaning Tree..... area. If you don't know where those holes are just look for all the cars below Shoup after you cross the bridge.

As for next weekend you might be better off fishing upstream. The bulk of the fish may have moved through by then.

Good Luck,
SteelFisher
[signature]
i think most of the fish have moved up already. from what i saw over the weekend. even the dutch oven crowd had began to move upriver. there are still plenty of fish below but far less than there was 3 weeks ago.
[signature]
thanks!
[signature]
does anybody know of maps of the road from the north fork to corn creek, i just want to familiarize myself with all these holes and spots you guys talk about, i have only been up there once and am taking the girlfriend for her first time next week ,so we gotta catch a fish or she will never go again. I promised her that the 8 hour drive, and using all here work vacation is well worth it.
[signature]
When you say move up river...you mean west right? Toward the middle fork.
[signature]
UP river would be toward Salmon. This weekend I landed 11 and lost 6. Most were in the Narrows in 2 full (12 hour) days. There were a lot of people there Saturday until 6:30 then half of them left.
I heard some one say that they were catching good numbers of fish around 50 miles below the Middle Fork. People were using various things to catch fish. Small red beads seem to be popular this year.
[signature]
Made it up to Salmon and got a late start. Arrived, checked into our hotel then headed out to launch the boat. after running the shuttle car to the take out and all it was noon by the time we were on the water. Put in at Carmen and floated to RedRock. My buddy landed a native just down from Carmen about 1/2 to 1 mile. I landed a sucker from the same hole then nothing after that. Fought the wind and snow rest the day. The next day we were supposed to be joined by another friend so decided to fish at the lemhi hole until he arrived. I was feeling mighty dejected and was contemplating an early day since I had to head home that afternoon anyway. About the time I was thinking that was a good idea my rod is practically ripped from my hands! Fought the fish back and then had a perfect release on another native. About 30 minutes later I did a repeat from the same spot! We then found out our buddy couldn't make it so we took off to float from Shoup bridge south of town to Carmin. We saw fish under the boat, couldn't get a single hit, then we got to town and saw several people had landed or were hooked up w/ fish between the bridge in town and the lemhi hole. Again I told my buddy I was right and we should have just freaking stayed there all day. We didn't see another fish on after that. I then had to leave as soon as we got the boat out. I got a text pic once I got in cell range again near Mud Lake. My buddy had landed a hatchery fish, guess where.... Lemhi Hole. One of these days he's going to listen to me. I know it!
[signature]