Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
walleye Tournament
A buddy and I are thinking of putting on a walleye Tournament. We need to know how many People would be interested in entering.

Here are the details.

Date.. April 2-4
Entry fee.. $10
Location.. Utah Lake

Each person brings there two biggest fish to a location TBA. To be weighted and measured. The Three top people with the most weight receive cash prize

If you are interested Please email me at R_Rizzle@hotmail.com with your name and phone number.

If we have enough people that want to enter i will post times and locations where you can sign up.
[signature]
So is this a 3 day tournament? I would like to have fished it but with Easter being on the 4th I doubt it.
[signature]
So what if someone caught two fish over 24" You can only keep one as far as I am aware. If that is the case I dont think it would be a good idea to kill/keep the walleye entered. What about a picture contest?
[signature]
It aint brain surgery, its fishing. Same rules would apply as if you are just fishing. You can keep one over 24. Catch a second one it has to go back in the water. Simple.
[signature]
I understand that, but that rule alone would keep me from entering in a tournament that would not allow me to enter one of the two 24+ inch fish that I would be catching. That is why I would not suggest doing it that way. Get it.[cool] And I am not even claiming to be a brain surgeon
[signature]
Oh c'mon man. You can enter all ten of the 17" fish you would be catching [crazy]. I, on the other hand, would throw back my 26" fish and keep the 29" fish I catch later. You know, to add to the nine 24 inchers. [Wink]
[signature]
we can always change the date to this weekend if there are enough people that would like to participate. if you caught Two over 24" you would have to take a pic of one and keep one. or i can change the rule to bring the biggest fish you catch in and that which would eliminate that problem.
[signature]
I would not enter any tourneys that you would need to kill any fish over 24+. I dont keep large walleye(24"+) as my own personal rule of thumb. IF I could bring them back in a live well then release them later, I would be all about it..... but you would still have a lot of the others that would kill anything big they caught.
Sorry to say but having a fair tournament takes a lot more thought, time, preparation and maybe even a permit to make it worth your while. While that is my opinion, I love the idea of fishing tournaments and competing for the honors. Why dont we just have a die hard walleye fun fishing day, where anybody who wants to step to the plate just has to have a camera and a fishing partner. A quick pic next to a tape measure on the ground and back into the lake the fish go, unless those who wish to keep them can.

I am not trying to steal your thunder. Try what you have suggested. I would like to see what comes of it.

Hey BOB,

I would be proud of myself for catching 10..... 17" walleyes out of utah lake on any given day.......I am yet to get even one out of there. But....... if you catch a 29" this spring I will bow to you for sure, even if you do keep the fish. Utah lake is a tricky lake for beginners(ME). Now if you want to come to my home field(Starvy) I might have a better chance at competing. I am sure you have done well there too.[fishon]
Maybe I should have gotten my butt over to the seminar tonight to learn more about the ones at UT lake.
[signature]
my money is on walleyebob at starvation or utah lake.
[signature]
Yeah I don't really know how a tournament could be done thats fair for everyone. We have kind of a standing rule to throw back everything over 23". Unless its a male. Dont see many males that big.I could probably keep my fish alive in the livewells and release them later, but too many folks dont have livewells.Float tubers would have the hardest time.
Maybe they could just do a competition where all fish need to be under 20". Very few folks are going to end up with a 10 fish limit of any size. And if only 20 " fish are allowed. Everyone can kill them and eat them. Or give them all to me at the end of the day and I will promise to eat them with the utmost reverence. I wouldnt be so sure you cant catch plenty of Walleye out of Utah Lake. It just has no visible structure so you need to depend on electronics to find good spots.Maybe we should arrange to meet up at Utah Lake some time. I'll show you some spots and sometime this summer I will come up to your fishing hole and you can show me some stuff.
Gotta go, dinners ready.
[signature]
Don't want to throw cold water on your parade, but you have a very big problem, namley, permits. Better check with DWR and Parks before you get to carried away with your plans.
No one asked you where your money is.
[signature]
I like your style[Smile] If you want to fish Starvy with me let me know... I am always looking for a fishing buddy out there....... thats what happens when you become addicted to walleye and fishing in general....I fish almost everyday...... I always need someone to share the really good days that nobody ever hears about.
[signature]
this is not a huge tournament that the winner is going to make hundreds.

its just a little competition

come on the entry fee is $10 bucks...... no one is making money the 1st 2nd and 3rd place winners will receive it all!!!!!!

not like they could find out where it's taking place!!
[signature]
Dude, YOU need to look into this just a little bit further.
[signature]
Here is a link to the Division of Wildlife's rules for contests for you. They take them seriously and so should you if you want to hold a contest. It isn't that hard to work within the rules and have a great time.

[url "http://wildlife.utah.gov/rules/R657-58.php"]Rules[/url]
[signature]
Trust me, they will come down on you like a ton of bricks. They have worked very hard to regulate tournments due to some really BAD apples in the past, so they will take it serious. Read the rules and follow them, it will save you a huge headache !!!!
[unimpressed]

There will not be a walleye tournament this year!!

but there will be a cat fish tournament this year!!
June 1st to June 30th

and i will have license from the dwr.
[signature]