Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to fish (SLC)
Good afternoon,

I have just recently moved here from CA and enjoy river fishing. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for some river fishing around here. I went to the Weber and the Ogden rivers yesterday, only to be shut down. The Ogden river is way too low and I only stopped at the Weber river briefly since I don't know the area all too well... Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
[signature]
try fishing the provo river
[signature]
first welcome to the site, Second you have many options I am guessing you live in or around Ogden. But some of my favorite options are big cottonwood canyon,Provo river, weber river, Uintia Moutain streams, American fork river is my favorite thou. all these waters are pretty close and easy to find pay special attention to the special res on some waters. It is fly and lure only. and size restrictions. and best of luck!
[signature]
Go to the Weber. Any bridge that crosses the river hop out of your car and wade up or down stream about 200 yards. Find a good deep looking hole with a riffle at the top. Fish the riffle and the first 10 - 15 yards below the riffle. You will kill the white fish and some browns too.

For flies now try using sizes 20 - 16:
pheasant tail
hares ear
copper john in copper, red, brass or silver, (depends on the day) but red is usually what I try first
sow bugs

later in the year: mid April - October
any of the above
elk hair caddis emerger, (or tie the same with silver or brass for the wing) - Size 16 - 14
stone flies Size 18 - 14

That oughta get you started. Oh yeah use weight with those. 2 - 3 bb split shot should get you deep enough, although in some of the deeper holes I have been known to chuck and duck with up to 6.

Good luck, PM me for pictures of the flies if you need help.
[signature]
Thanks for all the suggestions. However, I'm unsure how to get to the Provo river. I live just off the 15 near 600 N. Any directions to the provo river would help. Google doesn't seem to help much.

Thanks for the info on the Weber river. The only inlet I know where to fish that place is near Riverdale and the Weber walkway. Have never tried to fly fish before, but I continue to run into while researching the area. I will give it a try within the next few weeks or so. Thanks again guys!
[signature]
You can head up Parleys Canyon on I-80 then take I-40 Past Jordanelle. The provo is below the damn there.
If youre in SLC Im pretty close to you by Liberty Park. PM me and maybe we can get together for some fishing. I get 4 days off a week and usually go out 2 of those days.
[signature]
Head East up Weber Canyon to find other pull outs and better fishing on the Weber. If you fish late afternoon with a spinner, rooster tail, or rapala you can also catch some hog browns. They are fewer and far between at times. But go fish the same deep holes more at the tail out section of the riffle and you can find some.

Good luck
[signature]
When the ogden is down is when to fish it. It has an incredible amount of pocket water that holds fish when the water is low. Just find legal parking, get in the water and fish it. Throw to each pocket ahead and accross from you, giving each 4 or 5 casts before moving on.
If you want to fly fish it, nymph with a bead black stonefly, or beadhead prince nymph. Cover water, every fish that lives in there lives in that water you are calling "way to low" This is the best time. Come irrigation season it will pick up plenty. Then you will want to fish above Pineview Reservior. South Fork up to Causey.

Weber up that way is not bad, Assuming you went up the Canyon on 80 to Mt Green then over to Pineview and the Ogden.
I prefer quite a bit further up. There is a nice little campground at a place called Smith and Morehouse on a branch of the upper Weber, come Summer it is a nice place to overnight, You can fish the outle of the Reservior, I'm no longer sure if you can fish any of the private land below there with the new strean access law, but you used to be able to. There is also ood rainbow fishing early in the year at Rockport reservior, where the river enters is accessible. Below Rockport is a long section of river that has several access points in the 10 miles down to Echo reservior.
[signature]
Hmphh... sounds like I have a little bit of learning to do. I have fished the Ogden river for quit some time now. I have just never been back home during the winter months like I am now and have never seen the river that low before. The only place I have really fished the river is between 12th and Washington all the way up slightly past rainbow gardens.

I have never fished low waters like that. Just didn't see the point in throwing my lure in 6 in deep water all the while dragging it on the bottom of the riverbed never getting it to actually spin. Guess I have to find the spots where the water actually builds up somewhere.... Thanks for the input =]
[signature]