Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nice evening at Willard(07/27/03)
Launched from the north marina at 5pm, had no problem launching Wiperslayer's 15.5ft boat. Put the big motor 3/4 up and made it out of the marina without touching the bottom. We started trolling about a mile N/E of the light pole and trolled to the S/W corner without a hit. Caught one about 100 yards out from the S/W but that was it, so we went back to the north dike. The wipers were hitting the surface chasing shad, some were close to the dike, some were 100 yards from the dike smacking the surface. None of the fish in close wanted our lures but we caught a couple casting to the wipers out in the deeper water(7 or 8ft). We started trolling again and picked up one more before we headed to the N/E corner. The last wiper of the evening was caught about two hundred yards from the dike as we were heading toward the marina. As we went in the marina we hit a sand bar that was right in the middle of the channel and it was a little harder loading the boat than it was to launch it but all in all not bad. It was a great evening on the bay with a slight breeze and mild weather, water temp was 80 to 82 degrees, depending on the area. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Nice report WH2,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I'm surprised that as many times as you and I have fished Willard, that we havn't run on to each other out there fishing. Some time this fall, we will have to get out there together.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I'm down with that, I thought you were going to fish Willard Sunday evening so I had an eye out for you but all I saw was one other fisherman on the water. This low water sure has cut down the number of people on the water, if we have a way to launch next month, I look forward to getting out there with you and catching a few. When I got back I read your post, I guess you didnot see any surface activity? WH2
[signature]
Great report WH2. How much or your truck did you have to dip to get the boat on and off. Was it pretty easy to pull out with 4WD?
[signature]
We were using wiperslayers Explorer, we never got water in the back so I guess it wasn't too bad. We never had to put it in 4WD and it was very easy to launch but when we went to recover the boat it was a little harder because we weren't in the deep water. A few feet to the left or right can make a foot difference in the depth of the water. WH2
[signature]