Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flyfishing for sturgeon
well, i decided to try something new. i think i am gonna try to catch me a sturgeon on a fly rod. catching them on a traditional casting rod is fun and all but i need something new. i'm going monday thru thursday.
[signature]
Sounds interesting. Keep us posted on your results.
[signature]
I'm guessing the hard part will be keeping your bait down and holding still if you do the traditional chuck and wait method.

I fished for sturgeon on the colombia and we had to use 10oz lead weights to keep the bait still. I've not heard of any other method.....

good luck

Match
[signature]
I think you would need a more serious drag than I know of on any fly reel as well as some lengthy backing.
[signature]
hmmm...this I must see. should be interesting.
[signature]
Good luck. Sturgies feed by sense of smell and taste. Not much of a reaction or sight bite. [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
Better get a bucket of backing. I've caught Halibut on a fly pole but they don't run like a Sturgeon will. Get some video for us. Good luck!
[signature]
well, i am back! i hooked up twice on the fly rod. the first one shook the hook after about twenty minutes and the second broke the line right near the bank in the rocks after about fourty minutes. i am going to keep trying. i am pretty sure i can bring one in if i can get out in a boat. haha i know sturgeon don't feed by sight, i am not fly fishing for them with an actual fly, i use an 8/0 octupus circle hook with sucker guts for bait. the rod i have is a tarpon fly rod and fly reel to fight them with. the rod handles them very well.

But i did hook up with the flyrod so it can be done...
[signature]