Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Idaho
Allright fellas... I'm in Utah right now, but recently was offered a job in Twin Falls. I'll be training in Meridian from July til about December, and then I'll be in Twin for the duration. I plan on fishing my brains out on the weekends when I have to stay in Idaho and not go home to see the fam.

A little background on my fishing... I split my time pretty evenly between fly fishing for trout, and throwing gear at bass. I tie all my own flies, and pour my own jigs etc.

Where should I be spending my time? Both in Boise area and Twin?

I have fished Brownlee and Oxbow quite a bit, and quite frankly, I won't miss Utah smallmouth! Other than that, I'm an Idaho noob..

Thanks,

Cheech
[signature]
Great looking cased caddis in your avatar, did you tie that?

I am mainly a flyfisherman as well, and in Meridian. Truly your possibilities are endless. Since it looks like a low water year the fishing could be epic this summer. Obviously the Boise river system will be your quickest and easiest route. There is the Owyhee over in Oregon for browns. Then you've got all the watersheds in the mountains north of Boise from high mountain lake fishing to stream/river fishing. Not sure if you have a boat, but the few places you mentioned in addition to CJ strike, Lucky Peak are all pretty close. IMO, your moving to one of the premier fishing areas in north america. You won't even crack the surface of your possibilities this summer during your training, but you'll get into a lot of good fishing. I am sure there are plenty of people on here that would be willing to show you a spot or two including myself. Stay in touch on here and we could possibly go wet some lines sometime.
[signature]
Rivers I'veBoise river in town South fork boise,big wood, silvercreek. Reseviors Anderson ranch Salmon falls magic, carey, Wallcott is good bass fishery,Lots around. Some of the boys from that area will help guide you the right direction.
[signature]
Cool Cheech! Perfect timing as well[Wink]
We will be joining you soon. but more to the east.
I grew up in Glenn's Ferry....STURGEON!!!!!
[signature]
around twin the maklad river is alot of fun to fly fish. salmon falls creek is tough to access but when you do its alot of fun
[signature]
[quote thebug]around twin the maklad river is alot of fun to fly fish. salmon falls creek is tough to access but when you do its alot of fun[/quote]

I fished salmon falls creek once in the summer and i can promise you it wont happen again, killed 6 rattlers before lunch and called it a day [:/].
Lots of great places to fish it just depends on what you want to catch walcott has some good fishing as well as the canyon just below murtagh for small mouth. big wood silver creek great fly fishing and hagerman has opportunities year round. have even caught some nice trout in rock creek.
[signature]
Yeah that is a caddis I tied. Pain in the butt but it looked cool.

Thanks for the advise. I'll probably be more active on the board closer to July.
[signature]
Did you pull the Pheasant tail fibers to form the feet like Sir Oliver Edwards teaches[Wink]
Seems like allot of tiers take that challenge. All your flies are nice!
[signature]
Yep. Pull them off at the exact angle and you have feet. Thanks for the props. I'm excited to throw them at some idaho fish.
[signature]
If you are going for trout I would try the South Fork of the Boise. It is hard to wade but can be done in some spots. If you have a pontoon its a blast to float the Snake for bass.
[signature]
Bring your pad and paper to the East Idaho Fly Tying Expo when you come. You can pick dozens of brains to find good places to fish. As Michael says, "Look to the East. He'll be coming in the clouds". In the meantime, those clouds sit over some of the best trout fishing in the USA.
[signature]
I may be tying there... We'll see.
[signature]