Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wyoming has imposed a $30 fee on out of state boats.
Just a heads up. You have to purchase a $30 sticker if your 'out of state' boat is put Wyoming waters. This is in additional to any reciprocal fees you already pay.

[url "http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/AISPressRelease.pdf"]http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/AISPressRelease.pdf[/url]

If the above link doesn't open, go to Wyoming Game and Fish main page and search for their mussel initiative.

drop Eric and email and he can explain everything.

[font "Arial"][#0000ff][size 3][font "Arial"][#0000ff][size 3][font "Arial"][#0000ff][size 3][url "mailto:eric.keszler@wgf.state.wy.us"]eric.keszler@wgf.state.wy.us[/url]
[/size][/#0000ff][/font][/size][/#0000ff][/font][/size][/#0000ff][/font][font "Times New Roman"] [/font]

[url "http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/AISPressRelease.pdf"][/url]
[signature]
Idaho has the same law. Less money for residents in each state.
[signature]
Why were you not complaining last year When the Idaho Legislature passed the exact type of legislation that Wyoming did this year?

You were a member of BFT.

http://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/idah...sfund.aspx
[signature]
Shhhhhhh! Idaho is $20. for out of staters!!!

Utah is the land of the free....LOL
[signature]
I read ID is already trying to increase out of state fees and non-motorized fees. I though they said out of state will raise to $30 and non-motorized to $15. Anyone else hear this?
[signature]
Haven't fished Wyoming in a boat so I am not say yea or nae on the legislation.

I know that the invasive species stations and advertising costs money.

I just think that if the states want to be more diligent in getting out of state boats cleaned, maybe they should offer a reduced price short term sticker at the cleaning stations.

Come into the state, clean and inspect your boat, and get a sticker for that visit. It could still be enough to help fund, just not as much as the big pass.

Serves several functions - makes sure stuff isn't brought in, still funds the program, helps to keep bringing in those that only go once or twice on vacation.

Just my thoughts.
[signature]
Could be, but we ordered on line last night at $20. plus some change for online order, which really has me Confused. No paper, no employee...why more?

Problem is, they could charge $100. and it won't stop what they are trying to stop. That little sticker don't stop nothing unless you use it as fly paper.

This is definitely a money soaker.
It continues and as I have said before, tourism will stop. Gonna be really surprised to see just how MUCH money that generates.

The truth of the matter, I don't mind donating money to the science, but I think it should be focused more on "THEY ARE HERE, NOW WHAT" instead of "Let's try to keep them out"
Ain't gonna happen. Can't stop the Birds for one thing.
[signature]
If Utah would have started this program a few years back and got the public aware of the situation, just maybe you all wouldn't have 3 or 4 lakes already infested with the mussel. Just sayin'.[Wink]

BTW, Oregon raised their nonresident fishing license from $60 to $106.25 plus $22 for a noninvasive boat sticker unless you fish the Columbia or Snake, then the Idaho sticker works. But like most of us SW Idaho anglers who fish Owyhee, Bully Creek, Unity, Phillips and others, we have to buy the sticker. Sign of the times, I guess.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]The truth of the matter, I don't mind donating money to the science, but I think it should be focused more on "THEY ARE HERE, NOW WHAT" instead of "Let's try to keep them out"
Ain't gonna happen. Can't stop the Birds for one thing.[/quote]

I don't know what Idaho's AIS plan calls for, nor do I care since I am not a resident, but Wyoming's plan isn't just a "Let's keep them out" approach.

The money that is generated from the sale of this sticker goes towards a three prong approach, Prevention, Education, and Management if waters are infected. In a state that has waters that are not infected with AIS, they should be taking this type of approach.

The main reason Wyoming is only targeting boaters is because there is science available to them that suggests that although there are varying sources of contamination, boats are the highest risk for carrying the AIS. This primarily is because of their live wells and bilge pumps.

Maybe if Utah would have taken a similar approach Lake Powell would still be AIS free.
[signature]
Maybe. But, only time will tell. You can educate all you want, but if it wants in, it will find it's way.

Powell is a big lake and does get hammered...it was a target for sure. Agreed, boats are a big contributor and one you can do something about, but Birds are a big threat as well.

I HOPE it doesn't happen and will to do my part as I have for many many years, but I am a bit skeptical.

It will take years to see if the $ that is taken makes a difference. I will say, it is probably providing jobs which is a good thing

As far as Utah taking a similar approach....would of, could of....so on. We could say the same about Wyoming or Idaho if it had a lake like Powell that attracts nation/world travelers.

It just happened here first....with no end in sight.
[signature]
As someone already said this will effect tourism. Me and my buddies were going to go Walleye fishing on the Columbia this month and decided not to because of the extra costs. I won't be fishing Owyhee this year either - I just can't justify the extra cost. [Sad]
[signature]
I am pretty sure that the Wyoming Legislature has an idea of the effect that this policy will have on tourism.

The loss of revenue that may come from lost tourism via boaters is obviously an acceptable amount when compared to the cost of managing public utilities once wide scale mussel infestation has taken place.

It also would not surprise me at all, if decreased boat traffic from tourists were part of the plan in accepting the $30 sticker. Just speculation on my part.
[signature]
I love Owyhee, Avery, so I will spend the money. [Smile]

If you fish the Columbia, you won't need the invasive species sticker, the Idaho one will be sufficient. The one day fishing license is up to $16.75 though. Which sucks.
[signature]
Do float tubes, and pontoons without motors get dinged in Oregon for Owyhee Res? Ron
[signature]
So Migratory Waterfowl don't get permits and it's impossible to look into or inspect the water chambers in those wake board boats. Oh, did I mention I have twin bilge pumps and a wash down system that they can't inspect either. I'm thinking it's another tax but I'm not complaining. $10 to $30 dollars a year isn't bad in most states. Pay $60+ for a single visit to Tahoe and you know what chasing away tourists feels like. [Image: dumb.gif]
[signature]
I know that the ID mussel sticker will work on Brownlee and other boundary waters but not sure on Columbia. We thought about launching on the WA side but to stay at Crow Butt campground was a crazy amount of money. Maybe I'll call Oregon Dept this week and find out for sure. As for Owyhee I'll be missing it. Thanks Bassnbob!

idahoron - not sure on the toons but I'm betting so - I will ask when I call them.
[signature]
Hi Ron, here's the Oregon web site with all the info.

[url "http://www.boatoregon.com/OSMB/programs/09LawsFAQs.shtml"]http://www.boatoregon.com/OSMB/programs/09LawsFAQs.shtml[/url]
[signature]
Avery, here's the deal on motorized boats.

[ul][li]Boats registered in Washington or Idaho do not need an Oregon-issued Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Permit to operate or launch from Oregon into the Columbia or Snake Rivers, or tributaries within ONE RIVER MILE of the Columbia and Snake Rivers for the purposes of accessing them. [li]Washington and Idaho boaters need a permit when boating in Oregon's state waters including reservoirs, the Multnomah Channel, the Willamette, Deschutes, John Day and other rivers. [li]Washington boaters pay a surcharge for aquatic invasive species prevention when they register their boats in Washington. [li]Idaho has a similar Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Permit program. Registered boaters from Idaho have a permit affixed to their boats. [/li][/ul]
[signature]
There's a lot of lakes in Cal that won't even let out-of-staters launch their boat at, like Casitas and some others.

The bass in my avatar is from Diamond Valley in SoCal. My son is from AZ and had to go thru a very thorough inspection at the lake before we were allowed on. We were also headed for Casitas when we found out that we couldn't launch no matter how clean the boat was. This was two years ago. And it is only getting worse there. I hate to see that happen here in the NW but it could.
[signature]
That's good news, thanks. On the CA thing I have found it is just easier to rent a boat there. I fish So CA 2 or 3 times a year and there are some crazy rules. The one that kills me is the "no body contact" waters. What's up with that?
[signature]