Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tried out the new rod and reel .. no skunk
Saturday morning I got a chance to go to a local lake and wet a line.. I decided to take my new 3/4 wt rod and reel...

the lake is a very small lake in the middle of a housing community but is open to the public...

I chose a spot on the rocks near a large bed of reeds..

I tied on a small chartruesue wb but got nothing.. just a lot of practice roll casting.. :-)..

I switched to a dark red wb and again nothing but casting practice..

I then tied on a # 10 renegade ... and started roll casting again.. I was roll casting out near the reeds and then would let the fly settle .. once it settled I gave the line a very light tug so that it drifted back toward me..

I did this three or four times when I noticed my line inch forward slightly.. I lifted my rod and pulled on the line it was fish on.. [Smile]...

After a short but hard fight I landed a decent sized bluegill.. it was about 7 - 8 inches long and kind of chubby..

That was the only fish I caught all morning but it was worth the time on the water..

Even though I had my camera on me I did not get a picture.. I had not checked to see that the hook was debarbed so it took some time to correct that.. since I was concerned about the time I had the fish out of water I decided against the picture...

All in all it was a good morning ...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Right on! Always good to feel the tug on a new rod.
So how was it?
[signature]
the whole setup was SSWWWEEEETTTT... the rod is nice and responsive.. and the line that was on the reel when I got it was soooooo smoooooth.. I gots to find out what line that is... even a novice like me had no problems doing decent roll casts..

as for as handling a fish.. it was so easy and smooth.. this is defintely my go too combo when on smaller waters where I know I wont tie into a behemoth... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
NICE!!! The line is Orvis Superfine. Smaller diameter so less wind resistance.
I like it on the smaller rods.
[signature]
how is that line on say a 5 or 6 wt.. or is that the time to go to say a rio grand or sharkskin??

all I know is that the line matches perfectly with the rod and it is sooooooo smooth.. loved it... :-)

MacFly
[signature]
It goes as high as a 5 weight. Like I said it is a thin diameter and works best on smaller weight rods.
As for Sharkskin....well that is like Bacon. Just makes everything better...LOL Watching a cooking show[Wink]

Now if you want that 1/2 size heavier, then SS GPX or Rio Grande. But is you want a thinner shooting line like the Superfine, then Windcutter is the answer.
[signature]
the rio grande works very well on my mojo rod.. but still thinking I should of gotten or may still get the windcutter once the pennies are saved up.. :-)..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Like I said, one is 1/2 size heavier and one 1/2 size smaller than marked size on the shooting end. Running line is the size posted.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]Glad everything worked out for you mi amigo. Getting the skunk off a new rod & the day is just the beginning of a successful new season.[/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]A double skunk![/#008000][/font]
[center][inline skunk.jpg]
[signature]
I agree.. felt good to catch a fish.. and since I hate skunks as much as I hate snakes.. it felt even better to get rid of that scent.. LOL..

hey.. Ive seen that pair before.. I think they were in my backyard about five years ago.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]Yea they found a home in mine. LOl[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
sorry amigo.. tried to send them in a different direction but they one the fight once they lifter their tails. :-)

MacFly
[signature]