Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turkey Time
Sat out the other day and did some turkey calling.

I had a flock of geese land in the leftover corn field 30 yards from my treestand. Wow those things are loud !!!

Thought about letting off a shot just to scare them away but a group of racoons went out and did the job for me.

Saw a bunch of green head ducks flying over but they didn't stop.

Also had one of those sand hill crane birds land out in the field. Those things are loud too.

Had a couple of grouse peak out of the woods and put on a show of fluffling up and struting around for about 20 minutes.

Right towards evening i hit the owl call a few times and actualy got a response from an owl. After a few more calls i saw what looked like a grey football fly over my head and land in a tree 15 yards away. Man those things are quiet when they fly.

So in short saw almost every bird known to Michigan woods but no turkey.

Great time of year to sit out... no bugs yet and wildlife moving everywhere waking up for spring...
[signature]
I wasnt out hunting, well at least not for birds, but I did see a big o'l tom out struttin his stuff today. first time for me to see not of tv that is.

I luv to see those owls fly, they are something to see. especialy the big one, they are flat out amazing up close and personal, You dont realy apreciate the grace and beauty untill you see them up close.
[signature]
I can't wait to go take my youngest gal out for her first gobbler , we did the ZZ hunt .
There is plenty of birds in the yard every day but we are hunting an area five miles away .
Good luck on a big fat tom .
[signature]
I will wait till the fall hunt, I like plucking them dam pin feathers. [angelic]

good luck on your hunt,
[signature]
Had 2 hens and 2 toms just out of reach last night. They walked almost a complete half circle in the field around me just out of range....
[signature]
nope, dem turkies aint as dumb as I look. lOl,

They do the same for me, that is why I like the fall hunt, I wait till I get a good fog in the morning, then I eat a few cashews while waiting, I dont bother calling... and soon I have my choice of pin feathers to choose from.. [:p]

I swear dem turks see good, hear a pin drop, smell stuff in the wind, and remember too....
[signature]
I've actually had about 30 birds come in at different times of the day but not the ones I am looking for .
I have two huge toms in the area , saw them again this morning on the way to work right where I was sitting Sunday .
[signature]
aint that the way it goes... [crazy]

the gozzlings have been walking around for two weeks, the baby bunnies are about two weeks old and the mallards are still on the nest down this way. and a guy shot a turkey across the road from me today just befor sundown.
[signature]
Update----- Same birds were out again the other night. Same spot... still just out of range.

Think I'm going to have to move to a new spot. I hate doing that because I know as soon as I move they will practically stampeed my old spot and probably be perched right up on top of it.

Starting to think turkey hunting isn't as much fun as I thought it would be...... with as many birds as we have out on the farm I thought for sure I'd have one by now..... this is seriously starting to cut into my fishing time that is for sure. Been out in the woods with the skeeters instead of in a boat with my rod....
[signature]
I'm at that point where one of those smaller birds is gonna be a dinner guest .
The kid has a sprained ankle , getting better day by day , saturday is her day to bag one .
[signature]
Well after last night, I'm done with the turkey hunting. I'd like to say I got a big ole tom but no. Saw them and heard them gobbling all evening long just to the east of me in the neighboring tree farm nursery. I gobbled back and they seemed to get closer but it was if their was some kind of magical fence line and they just didn't want to cross over the property line.

After that little rain, it seemed like the misquotos were out in full force so I think I'm officialy done ....End of game...Offical score... Turkeys 1 Mike 0 (At least until this fall).

I did see a doe and a newborn. Littlest deer I've ever seen. Was smaller than our lab. I would have took some pics but momma wasn't liking the turkey call and kept her distance.

Ok... well I'm going to go clean the gun and go find my fishing gear....

lattttttttttter..
Mike
[signature]