Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Fishing Reels
So, I'm going to go drop a little dough on a new reel. I don't want to spend a ton of money, so I was wondering what the most important thing to look at for a fly reel. I am going to get one with two spools so I can keep some sinking line on hand also. Any suggestions?
[signature]
Reels can be a touchy subject Im sure everyone has there likes and dislikes. Some will argue they only have a reels to hold there lines others swear by the drag.

I myself palm my reel meaning I leave my drag all the way open and use my hand to control the line speed. So for me any fly reel should suffice... wrong I ended up droping $$$ on a Lamson Velocity ( Im a complicated person [Wink] )

In any event depending on how much chedder you want spend if I didn't buy the Velocity I would have either gone with the Lamson Guru, Ross Evolution, or the Orvis Battenkill .

The one thing I would highly recommend before buying a reel is pairing of the weight of the reel to your rod some are heavier and will make your fly rod feel like a lead pipe. Depending on were you are buying from or maybe just visit a store but ask the sales man if you can attach the reel to a similar fly rod and see if it feels right for you.
[signature]
Just remember, for most Utah fishing, the reel will serve primarily as a line storage device. Drag is not important, though you do want a smooth reel for light tippets.

Match the weight of the reel with your rod. Generally, the lighter the better on reels for anything under a 6 weight.

I spend the money and use Hardy Lightweights. Orvis CFO's are similar. Neither are inexpensive, but others are. I like the click and pawl for trout fishing, not models with drags.

So, think "light-weight line-storage device."
[signature]
There are a lot of factors that go into what you should look at in a reel. What are you going to be using the reel for? What rod is it going on? If it is a 5 wt or lower that is to fish the rivers around Utah, drag is really unimportant IMO.

Honestly, even on bigger fish around here, when was the last time someone had to get to their drag to fight a 16-20 inch trout on the Provo, Weber, or Green? If you say "all the time" I call BS or say you just simply need a refresher course on how to land a fish quickly and unharmed. I don't mean that to be rude, just honest.

There are species and situations where drag is extremely important. On a 5 wt in Utah, those situations are very limited. If you're fishing for the species where drag is very important, you're not using a 5 wt.

Budget is also an important factor. For me, "not spending much money" for a reel might be $150. For someone else, "not spending much money" for a reel could be $400. It's a matter of perspective most the time.

So, tell us a little more about what you're using the reel for. That way more specific recommendations can be made.
[signature]
If you dont want to spend alot and want a good reel my suggestion is to check out ross reels fly start 2 or three I think you will be pleasntly surprised
[signature]
+1 for the fly start reels! They are a great reel at a great price. And you cant beat a lifetime warranty.
[signature]
Thanks everyone for the info. I have a 5/6 wt rod that in 9ft. I mainly fish the Weber, Provo,and Strawberry rivers. I hit the Green 2-3 times a year. I would also like to start using it a bit more on Strawberry reservoir as well, but am having a difficult time getting the jigging out of me when I am there. As far as money, I really wanted to stay under $100. I am still learning to how fly fish so wouldn't mind getting something cheaper for now and then upgrade later once I get better.
[signature]
Goto fishtech they have a martin reel for $35 and they have the extra spools as well. A great reel for a great price.
[signature]
I gotta agree on that Martin. I have the LA Martin...like $39.
As mentioned, drag is not a real issue on these trout, but if it comes with a inexpensive package....SWEET.
I too have CFO, Tibor, Tioga, Lamson, Hardy, Vossler...I also have some $29. HARLEY (yes it has the Harley Emblem on it) LOL
Point is, I would use any of them on Trout and feel comfortable with any of them.

And also as mentioned...make sure WITH THE LINE ON IT, that it is not way heavy on the rod. That can tire you out quickly.
I am not saying to NOT buy a heavy reel cause I have a bamboo the requires a heavy reel as the bamboo is tip heavy. With a heavier reel, the rod is balanced and quite nice.

Good luck and many great fishing wishes.
[signature]
[quote fish2xtc]Thanks everyone for the info. I have a 5/6 wt rod that in 9ft. I mainly fish the Weber, Provo,and Strawberry rivers. I hit the Green 2-3 times a year. I would also like to start using it a bit more on Strawberry reservoir as well, but am having a difficult time getting the jigging out of me when I am there. As far as money, I really wanted to stay under $100. I am still learning to how fly fish so wouldn't mind getting something cheaper for now and then upgrade later once I get better.[/quote]

For what you are talking about you have a lot of options. And very few of them have to cost you more than $50. Some of the listed reels above are good options. You can even look into the Okuma reels. I have one on my 3 wt and it does its job. Even the bigger cutts at Strawberry don't fight all that hard where you need to worry about drag. With what you described, you need something to hold your line. Lots of options for less than $100. Go find one that feels good on your rod and you like the look of, and don't worry about the name on it!
[signature]